Irish Rail to buy more freight stock.

Rate this topic

Just an aside to the above. When the design of the proposed ore wagons, whether to replace or compliment, the existing fleet is announced, I wonder if it would be possible for a model railway manufacturer to get access to the proposed plans and then issue models of the new wagons to coincide with the release into traffic of the real life stock? 

Curious why Tara mines may not be sourcing and paying for their own rolling stock. 🤔

Overall good news to see investment in growing goods traffic on the railways. Might help keep a few marginal lines open. Resumption of Rosslare to Waterford seems an ideal link for commercial traffic, and might tip the scales making the line available to commuters in this era of climate action.

I am a firm believer that freight has a place and a future on the railway lines of this island. However, it worries me that they can't even fill the Waterford liner at the moment. It will take a huge effort and shift of attitudes to justify 300 or so new wagons earning their keep. (putting aside say 90 for PW duties and  repair rotations) 

Cement and Biomass would be 2 quick wins in my opinion. The development of the Western Rail Corridor I think is the only way Waterford and Foynes would stand a chance of growing rail based freight flows. 

And much as I'd love to see it, folk need to stop talking about a rail link to Rosslare Port. To carry what exactly and to where? 

But here's hoping this tender for 400 wagons is serious, insofar as it might be a part of a genuine effort to get freight back on the rails again. 

Which then opens the discussion about our locomotive fleet...🤦‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 22/10/2022 at 1:02 AM, Noel said:

Curious why Tara mines may not be sourcing and paying for their own rolling stock. 🤔

It looks like Tara Mines is approaching the end of its working life with 5 years ore reserves at the current extraction rate https://www.boliden.com/globalassets/operations/exploration/mineral-resources-and-mineral-reserves-pdf/2020/resources-and-reserves-tara-2020-12-31.pdf

Its possible the 'ore wagons" may be intended for traffic from the Pallas Green ore body which just might get to the development stage after Tara closes.

• Like 1