Gnr signal cabin

Rate this topic

Darren.d

Was thinking of making a version of the gnr signal box that was outside Connolly station and demolished in the 80s.iv seen a few pics of it.to me the base looks about 10 ft wide and about 50ft long.was wondering if anyone had an idea of the dimensions of it.

Cheers

Dar.

3 hours ago, Darren.d said:

Was thinking of making a version of the gnr signal box that was outside Connolly station and demolished in the 80s.iv seen a few pics of it.to me the base looks about 10 ft wide and about 50ft long.was wondering if anyone had an idea of the dimensions of it.

Cheers

Dar.

It’s possible that the IRRS might - I would try contacting them, as I know they do have some GNR architectural drawings.

24 minutes ago, Darren.d said:

Its a shame to see so much of rail history here demolished.its good to see its being documented.

Indeed, Darren, I couldn't agree more.

This, of course, is what the IRRS is for. If you are a member and have convenient access to their archives in Dublin, you will find a treasure trove of all sorts of old archive material from track plans to timetables to borardroom minute books. Station architecture, rolling stock drawing and other material feature too. You will find the resident archivists, Herbie Richards and Tim Moriarty, extremely helpful. As a member, you can access their online photo archive, a rapidly growing and massively important archive of photographs, which has been created by their photographic archivist, Ciarán Cooney. He continues to add new stuff to this, as time permits it to be digitised.

I would highly recommend membership for all of the above reasons and more - monthly historical talks and presentations being another.

Members Richard McLachlann and Herbie Richards have over the years compiled a number of invaluable publications of stock lists, original rolling stock drawings - plus some GNR architectural drawings; in fact, a copy of this latter was amongst the stuff they had for sale at Raheny!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/11/2022 at 5:48 PM, jhb171achill said:

Strongly recommended!

I have to agree with JBH! As an IRRS member for almost 50 years, it is indeed a treasure trove of information and material! The Journal alone is excellent value for money. The Thursday night in-person or now on-line meetings are excellent, with the highlight of the year being the Annual Film Show. Go for it Darren D!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Darren

You will be a most welcome addition to our ranks.

I could answer your query re the Amiens Street cabin straightaway, but "Mr Drawings" aka Richard McLachlan - who is staying with us this week - IS BACK IN DUBLIN  for the night for a IRRS Board event. As soon as he's back, I'll put the question to him.

Watch this space!

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

On 3/11/2022 at 6:49 PM, leslie10646 said:

Darren

You will be a most welcome addition to our ranks.

I could answer your query re the Amiens Street cabin straightaway, but "Mr Drawings" aka Richard McLachlan - who is staying with us this week - IS BACK IN DUBLIN  for the night for a IRRS Board event. As soon as he's back, I'll put the question to him.

Watch this space!

Thanks for that

On 9/11/2022 at 3:57 PM, leslie10646 said:

Alas, Darren, I must disappoint you. The Amiens Street set which the IRRS has uncovered to date  does not include the cabin.

We can provide plans of Jim Meade's office in the building (well as it was in GN days), but not the cabin.

If we find it .....

There are lots of photos........

Its an interesting building i didnt know existed until recently.theres an awful lot of glass to it.might have to scratch build the windows.something iv never attempted.thans for all the help much appreciated. 

Drawing just a vague idea as to how might look.

Dar.

IMG-20221107-WA0018.jpeg

• Like 1

Here’s one idea. Get hold of an Alphagraphix 4mm scale GN standard pattern box. That will provide templates for lots of the detail parts you will need, and possibly help scale up parts such as windows for that particular cabin. Great drawing btw. The link is for an O gauge one but you’ll get the idea.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alphagraphix-A125-Great-northern-Railway-of-Ireland-signal-box/273994114694?hash=item3fcb526686:g:Pn8AAOSw9yZdb9ng

this Jim O’Dea image might also help if not seen https://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000304361

Edited by Galteemore

Hi Darren,

Good advice there from Galteemore. Also, you will find a post on the Workbench Thread by Patrick Davey, 'Two GNR(I) Buildings', detailing how he built a basic GNR(I) cabin. This might give you some ideas. Also, there is a Galgorm thread detailing the building of the NCC Cabin at Ballymena, and I have scratch built Larne Harbour Cabin purely from a view photos and info from a few people on this forum.1832664410_PWShed1a.thumb.JPG.0c694156d28eec4aecafa598bce40944.JPG

There is a company called LCUT Creative who provide various laser cut pieces to help scratch building. Going by your work on Connolly Loco Shed you would make a good job of a scratch build. It's very satisfying! You just need a few good photos!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Here’s one idea. Get hold of an Alphagraphix 4mm scale GN standard pattern box. That will provide templates for lots of the detail parts you will need, and possibly help scale up parts such as windows for that particular cabin. Great drawing btw. The link is for an O gauge one but you’ll get the idea.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alphagraphix-A125-Great-northern-Railway-of-Ireland-signal-box/273994114694?hash=item3fcb526686:g:Pn8AAOSw9yZdb9ng

this Jim O’Dea image might also help if not seen https://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000304361

Thats a fantastic view of the interior.and how its laid out.ill ģo look for the Alphagraphix one

Cheers

Dar

• Like 1

Sorry to be a pain, but the Alphagraphix's kit is for the type of cabin put up by the GNRI in the 1890's, 1900's. The cabin design changed in the early 1910's to a new, (similar) design. Dublin Amien's St. was built in c1923 to replace Dublin Central , which was destroyed in the Civil War, to the later design.

The interior photo was taken in 1959, and shows a lot of empty space at the far end of the operating room. Originally the locking frame was much longer, as the cabin also controlled the GSR lines, from the GSR Loop line platforms, towards North Strand Junction. However, when the GSR took over control themselves (on West Road opening), the GNRI frame was shortened.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

This a screengrab from the OSI website, it shows the signal box in 1901. I find the OSI site invaluable as a resource for getting the dimensions of demolished buildings or buildings I can't get access to. This may or may not be helpful to answer your specific question, as BSGSV says the cabin was changed in the early 1910s and destroyed in the civil war.

GeoHive Map Viewer

533750595_Screenshot2022-11-15173427.png.b515afe4b604ed073d9c052e409e6373.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kevin Sweeney said:

This a screengrab from the OSI website, it shows the signal box in 1901. I find the OSI site invaluable as a resource for getting the dimensions of demolished buildings or buildings I can't get access to. This may or may not be helpful to answer your specific question, as BSGSV says the cabin was changed in the early 1910s and destroyed in the civil war.

GeoHive Map Viewer

533750595_Screenshot2022-11-15173427.png.b515afe4b604ed073d9c052e409e6373.png

Thanks for everyone's help and input.hsve a good idea of footprint now with this..all coming together now.

Cheers

Dar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 27/11/2022 at 1:27 PM, Darren.d said:

Without equal the worst cardboard mock up in the history of model railways.but in saying that,gives me a 3d look at what I'm going to attempt to build.due to being unable to find a correct size of window cabin wont be to scale length by about 40 mm.i think.

20221127_130434.jpg

20221127_130440.jpg

Hi Darren.

Cardboard mock ups are the way that a number of my friends and myself use all the time to see if something works, I have as yet to go to the next stage but I have as mock ups Ramsey station and workshop from the isle of man and a very much freelance Cavan and Leitrim Station building again from an Alphagraphix card kit, as has been said they are great to work out the sizes for parts you don't know from photos and also great before you start to cutout the finished model.        

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colin R said:

Hi Darren.

Cardboard mock ups are the way that a number of my friends and myself use all the time to see if something works, I have as yet to go to the next stage but I have as mock ups Ramsey station and workshop from the isle of man and a very much freelance Cavan and Leitrim Station building again from an Alphagraphix card kit, as has been said they are great to work out the sizes for parts you don't know from photos and also great before you start to cutout the finished model.        

I’d love to see a working model of Ramsey!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Iv gotten some styrene and am waiting on windows to come from the uk.windows are really not ideal but I can't find what I want.card is great to knock things up quickly.a 3d in the hand item to take measurements and to do wrong and redo is very interesting.this is all new to me so everything is learning hands on.

Dar.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Darren.d said:

Iv gotten some styrene and am waiting on windows to come from the uk.windows are really not ideal but I can't find what I want.card is great to knock things up quickly.a 3d in the hand item to take measurements and to do wrong and redo is very interesting.this is all new to me so everything is learning hands on.

Dar.

Hi Darren if you have the time check out York modelling services :- https://yorkmodelrail.com/

They used to do a service that if you can provide them with the details they can laser cut the windows for you.

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I’d love to see a working model of Ramsey!

One day may be 🙂