RTR or Kit, early 4 wheel CIE rolling stock

Rate this topic

Dave Dawes

Leslie Mc Allister (Leslie 10646 on this group)  or Provincial Wagons produces a large range of OO gauge resin kits of traditional Irish 4w wagons including CIE corrugated opens, vans and cattle wagons.

I produce 3D printed wagons including CIE Brake Van, 3 versions of the "Standard" GSWR/GSR/CIE van, GSWR/GSR/CIE standard wooden bodied open and a bulk grain wagon https://jmdesignmodelrailways.com/

I had to suspend production in October as our current 3D print contractor is no longer prepared to print some of our models, but have had encouraging results from an alternate supplier and expect to be in a position to accept orders from mid January for delivery Mar-Apl 2023

• Like 9

I've some of Mayner's wagons (brake van and open) and they are to a very high standard. I also purchased some of @leslie10646 's 00 kits (corrugated open, GSWR van and CIE cattle wagon) at Raheny. I haven't made them up yet, but again, there's very good detail and they come with all components required. Btw Leslie: have you any more beets??

I'm very happy to recommend both (although there's the very big caveat that I'm only beginning my journey as a modeller)

• Like 1

Be selective with the offerings from Bachmann, Dapol Cambrian kits etc; and be prepared to do a lot of repainting after the surgery. Thats how I have done it, plus photos to work to and the help from so many people on IRM who have freely  given information. Most of my Bachmann & Dapol donors come from T&T fairs and swop meets. Welcome to another world!    :trains:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Dave

I echo what others have said. Between Leslie McAllister's Provincial Wagons, John Mayne's JM Design wagons, and Des Sullivan's Studio Scale Models, I thoroughly recommend all three, plus a few others I may have forgotten.

These are easy to make, especially the Provincial ones. Between the three, I've dozens and dozens of 'em; many still awaiting making up.

For carriages, you've Studio Scale Model's kits of a number of prototypes but they are not for the beginner, I'd say. However, in ready to run state, you've the forthcoming Hattons series of 6-wheelers of broadly GSWR design to look forward to; they were announced only a week or two ago. Order soon, as the run will be limited - they are VERY reasonable.

Locomotives - you can get Silverfox A, B101 and C classes in made-up or kit form - but for the real high-quality stuff, look at the output of Irish Railway Models for inspiration, and those of Murphy Models. While the former are sold out, WRENNEIRE of this parish may be able to assist you in sourcing some. In the case of the Murphy stuff, they have announced a further run of their beautiful and highly-engineered 141 and 181 classes.

All in all, never a better time to be a modeller of Irish stuff, and i9t is very encouraging to see another modeller interested in the "grey'n'green" era, prior to the "back'n'tan" era!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Mayner said:

Leslie Mc Allister (Leslie 10646 on this group)  or Provincial Wagons produces a large range of OO gauge resin kits of traditional Irish 4w wagons including CIE corrugated opens, vans and cattle wagons.

I produce 3D printed wagons including CIE Brake Van, 3 versions of the "Standard" GSWR/GSR/CIE van, GSWR/GSR/CIE standard wooden bodied open and a bulk grain wagon https://jmdesignmodelrailways.com/

I had to suspend production in October as our current 3D print contractor is no longer prepared to print some of our models, but have had encouraging results from an alternate supplier and expect to be in a position to accept orders from mid January for delivery Mar-Apl 2023

Many thanks, and let's hope you can sort something out