Craven Liveries

Rate this question

dave182

Question

Hi Guys,

Robert Davies has posted a wonderful link to Dave Sallery's images of Irish Rail in the 90's in another thread, and it reminded me of a question I've had and never asked before... I have a memory from that time of a single Craven carriage in the newer IR livery having the 'IR intercity' logo on the side of it. Any one else have any memory of this or is my mind starting to fail me finally??

Craven.JPG

Was this single Craven knocking about in the 90's??

Regards,

Dave

• Like 1

17 answers to this question

I'd be surprised - it's quite possible a few might have been done as an experiment but I'm pretty certain none ever ran with either this or any logo at all. Despite their long life in traffic they only ever basically had the one livery, albeit with variations towards the end, i.e. the addition of the whilte line below window level, and the white above the windows giving way to white and orange.

• Like 1

I think only three cravens carried the ir logo 1532 1557 15??at door end's no coach carried the intercity logo,these coaches were more likely done in Connelly shed as were mk2s,135 had hand painted white lines done there also(they were all over the place)and got the name pixie painted on cab.

M

• Informative 1

Killucan, I think you are closest to the mark with your reply! Yes, the one I remember seeing was at Connolly Station- I definately remember the 'IR' on the door ends, and as I say it was just one craven with the word 'intercity' on the side, maybe done as an experiment. hopefully, someone on here might come up with a photo!!

Killucan, I think you are closest to the mark with your reply! Yes, the one I remember seeing was at Connolly Station- I definately remember the 'IR' on the door ends, and as I say it was just one craven with the word 'intercity' on the side, maybe done as an experiment. hopefully, someone on here might come up with a photo!!

Dave I have a photo of one with the IR logo on the coach. It is on the desk top but there is a problem that I need to have repaired. I will do this in a few weeks. I will pm you a pic of the coach asap. Killucans answer was as you say the closest to the mark.

Rich,

• Like 1

I thought you meant the "intercity" thing as in the initial pic - they never had those. The thing on the door, yes, I was aware that a small number had for a short time.

TBH I assumed the same too when I looked at the pic. As I said I have a pic of one and I think that it has the IR logo on the side of the coach and not the doors. It would make for an interesting model. RPSI decals would be nice if anyone wanted to run some preservation coaches.

Rich,

Easy to scan the Rpsi crest... Yes, that would make an interesting model, with an 071, pair of black tan 141s or a steam loco up front!

I would prefer to apply the RPSI letters to the doors on the as still IE liveried coaches, I just can't take to those blue ones. I remember some running with the orange beneath the windows painted green.

Rich,

• Funny 1

I would prefer to apply the RPSI letters to the doors on the as still IE liveried coaches, I just can't take to those blue ones. I remember some running with the orange beneath the windows painted green.

Rich,

Hi Rich,

this should be the version that themodelshop.ie offers as a respray:

http://www.themodelshop.ie/rpsi-cravens-coach--ex-cie-/gtm005pd.html

Gerhard.

One RPSI Craven carried that livery for some years, but I think it's blue now. The idea was to paint it green like the rest of the Dublin set but only the bottom half got done. RPSI Cravens were thus never in the all-green, partly because none were ever green in CIE use. Mind you they weren't blue either, but that livery came about as a result of trying to make the RPSI stock look distinctive. Some like it and some don't - it has certainly prompted debate!