Marklin announces Special edition Flying Scotsman.

Rate this topic

steventrain

Very....interesting! 

So, I can understand (I think) why a Trix DC/DCC H0 version of this makes absolute sense...it did travel to Australia and the US where H0 scale dominates, but did it ever go to continental Europe? The Märklin version seems mega optimistic to me but what do I know. I hope the price doesn't scare too many people off.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BosKonay said:

Marklin collectors are a special breed. 

Märklin might do modestly well if it offered British-outline EMU stock - then the 3-rail system might be justified!

At the moment, the HO Gresley A3 is probably just a one-off, a bit like the Rivarossi "Royal Scot" or the Fleischmann "Warship". Not meant to lead to anything else, but useful to compare to Continental outline stock for an accurate idea as to relative size.

You can see from the CAD and test-shot model that Märklin have applied their traditionally robust standards (not greatly changed from what they were doing in the 1980s) , so the valve gear links and pivots have been made overscale whilst the wheels have massive flanges.

14 hours ago, murphaph said:

Very....interesting! 

So, I can understand (I think) why a Trix DC/DCC H0 version of this makes absolute sense...it did travel to Australia and the US where H0 scale dominates, but did it ever go to continental Europe? ...

No, that was a Great Western "small Prairie" which also went to Poland and helped to run regular service on the line from Wolstyn.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

On 25/2/2023 at 9:14 AM, Horsetan said:

You can see from the CAD and test-shot model that Märklin have applied their traditionally robust standards (not greatly changed from what they were doing in the 1980s) , so the valve gear links and pivots have been made overscale whilst the wheels have massive flanges.

Have to agree with Horsetan's observations above and it's the reason I wouldn't be overly enthusiastic about it's production. Had some Marklin/Hamo locomotives in the past and they just didn't seem right but, as Boskonay says; 'Marklin collectors are a special breed'.

• 2 weeks later...

Why pay £495 if you're in UK.It seems to be out every day of the year on trains at GROSSLY inflated prices, so you can just go and look at it go by - it LOOKS a lot better than it GOES!!!!

I think my antipathy for this loco is well known - Alan Pegler (a lovely man who bought the Festiniog Railway) bought THE WRONG ENGINE! He should have bought "Papyrus" No.2750, which did 108mph - the first authenticated "ton" with a steam loco - but of course, he was buying the NAME and, to be fair, it was HIS MONEY!

As Horsetan says, Marklin are a fairly mad bunch with their stud contact.

Gripe over .......

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Why pay £495 if you're in UK.It seems to be out every day of the year on trains at GROSSLY inflated prices, so you can just go and look at it go by - it LOOKS a lot better than it GOES!!!!

I think my antipathy for this loco is well known - Alan Pegler (a lovely man who bought the Festiniog Railway) bought THE WRONG ENGINE! He should have bought "Papyrus" No.2750, which did 108mph - the first authenticated "ton" with a steam loco - but of course, he was buying the NAME and, to be fair, it was HIS MONEY!

As Horsetan says, Marklin are a fairly mad bunch with their stud contact.

Gripe over .......

He should have bought 207 Leslie, never mind 2750!! 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Agree 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...