Heuston Platform 9

Rate this question

Branchline121

Question

13 answers to this question

My guess is that either that:

a) There was a planned platform opposite the current platform 10 for the proposed Phoenix Park Tunnel services (stopping at Heuston);

b) or when the 'far' platforms (6-8) were built, there was a planned platform 9 opposite platform 8 as another platform. There seems to be ample room as there are already a few tracks there with the possibility of another platform being put in. 

Another (slightly off-topic) note is that next to platform 10, there is a concrete structure with a shelter/cover and signs displaying 'Ardán/Platform 1'. Not sure what this was ever built for, it looks like the shelters over platforms 6-8.

Interestingly (though perhaps unsurprisingly) it seems the trend will continue with the 'Heuston West' Station for Dart Southwest, which will have a platform 11 adjacent to 10.

55 minutes ago, Broithe said:

This suggests there may never have been a Platform 9.

https://web.archive.org/web/20171031104916/http://www.irrs.ie/Journal148/148 Stations.htm

Maybe there was felt to be a possibility of one at some point?

Perhaps the 'far end' of Platform 8, or something like that?

I'd say this is the most likely answer, having the slot open if/when Heuston needs additional capacity 

I've always believed it was to clearly mark it as an outlying platform. Numbering Platform 10 as Platform 9 would indicate it was close to Platform 8 even though it's not.

Similar ideas are used in Europe, with stations on different levels (such as Zurich Hb) being numbered in different series (1-11 being street level, 21-24 next level down, 31-34 level below etc). Additionally they frequently number the tracks rather than platform. For example, a station with through road (so platform, through, through, platform) would be Platform 1 and Platform4, 2 and 3 being the nominal through platforms

Edited by hurricanemk1c
  • Like 4

Stafford has no Platform 2, just 1, 3, 4, 5, & 6. Few people have ever noticed.

I always tell people that I'll meet them on Platform 2, even people who've lived their whole lives there - it's easy to find them then, as they'll be wandering about all over the place.

There was a Platform 2, years ago, where the current Platform 1 is, because the old bay Platform 1 went out of passenger use many decades ago and it seemed a less obvious omission, I suppose, to lose 2 instead of 1, and then just not bother renumbering the others.

• Funny 2

As a tangentially-relevant aside, Waterford has one operational platform, and it's Platform 5. Platforms 3 and 4 are fenced off while the track for Platform 6 has been lifted. That begs the question: where are Platforms 1 and 2 meant to be? According to Eiretrains they were removed in the 1960s, which then leads me to wonder why not renumber 5 and 6 to 1 and 2...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darrman said:

As a tangentially-relevant aside, Waterford has one operational platform, and it's Platform 5. Platforms 3 and 4 are fenced off while the track for Platform 6 has been lifted. That begs the question: where are Platforms 1 and 2 meant to be? According to Eiretrains they were removed in the 1960s, which then leads me to wonder why not renumber 5 and 6 to 1 and 2...

There was a set of bay platforms at the Rosslare/New Ross end, removed around then for a carpark. Assuming these were the errant 1 and 2.

48 minutes ago, Niles said:

There was a set of bay platforms at the Rosslare/New Ross end, removed around then for a carpark. Assuming these were the errant 1 and 2

CIE 1953-08-14 Waterford 150 on 10.45am to Macmine Junc. 053

Waterford, Platforms 1 & 2 at the east end 14 August 1953, 150 on Macmine  train.

Platform 1 looks as if it had been converted to another use even at that date.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Niles said:

There was a set of bay platforms at the Rosslare/New Ross end, removed around then for a carpark. Assuming these were the errant 1 and 2.

Waterford once Irelands largest station in terms of the number of platforms with relatively few passenger trains!

Platforms 1 & 2 Bay platforms east end of the station filled in 1967 for car parking. 

Platforms 1 & 2 appear to have been used for diesel loco stabling and re-fueling before their removal here is a 1963 photo of a pair of B141s, a B101 and a fuel tank wagon in this area in Irish Railways in Colour from steam to Diesel.

Platforms 3-4 were the main passenger platform, 3 at the east end-4 at the west end. At one stage there was a cross-over midway along the platform allowing the platform to be worked in two sections.

Platform 5 was a passenger bay before being re-built and extended as the current platform.

Bay Platform 6 lost its designation as a passenger platform at some stage during the 60-70s.

Bay Platforms 7-8 at the west end of the station were filled in and converted to bus parking.

• Like 4
  • Informative 1