Clogherhead - A GNR(I) Seaside Terminus

Rate this topic

Fabulous. My favourite part of the GN main is the seaside section between Louth and north Dublin. Lots of scope too for an RPSI special behind that U of yours…..and I can foresee the Hunslet making the odd visit…..

Edited by Galteemore
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

CLOGHERHEAD TRACKPLAN

Here's a rough idea of the trackplan so far, using an 'aerial' photo of the roughly-positioned track.

The site is bordered on the left and top by a road, which may have some low relief buildings.  Not a lot of trees in this plan due to the exposed location.  Passenger trains enter from under the classic scenic break overbridge to the left, cross the double slip and stop at the platform, the loco runs round (just enough space in the headhunt for an A class loco!) then takes the train out again.  The platform will be longer than I can show in this plan.  Sand wagons can be brought into the headhunt below the pavilion (which will be on a higher level) and shunted down to the sand store.

The beach completes the plan.

Edit: There won't be as many straight lines as shown here!

Clogherhead.jpg.1b205ff8b5be0745ad89cae3481f0b51.jpg

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 10

3 minutes ago, Tullygrainey said:

Lovely work Patrick. Just taking in the artwork on the walls now I'm viewing this on a desktop. When I looked at it on my phone earlier, I took them for windows! Can't quite identify the artists though

Alan

Thanks Alan: they are all originals by someone called Scalescenes Downloads......

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Although born and bred in Dublin never actually visited Clogherhead, nearest were childhood trips by car to the seaside at Gormanstown and a couple of visits to Butlins with friends in my early teens including one by train returning non-stop Mosney-Connolly in an ex-GNR K15 coach, first journey on a fast train being used to AEC railcars on Connolly-Bray subbies.

Its possible Clogherhead might have become a GNR equivalent of the BCDR Ardglass a Light Railway branchline serving a quiet seaside terminus and fishing port possibly with a couple of morning and evening peak-hour Dublin-Drogheda services running through to Clogherhead for season-ticket holders and day-trippers, only light axle locos like U & UG and similar small locos allowed over the line because of its light railway heritage. Possibly some of the entrepreneurs/political figures behind Ireland's drive for self-sufficiency during the 1930 (ESB,CSE,BNM etc) though an Irish equivalent of Butlins or Pontins may not be a bad idea. 

• Like 4

Butlins….Now there’s an interesting bypath and potential cameo….for some odd reason, back in the 60s, Billy Butlin bought up several steam locos for display at his English camps. https://www.butlins-memories.com/other/locos.htm

Although the scheme fizzled out, the locos he saved then entered mainstream preservation. I have read in an authentic source that Butlin was apparently going to acquire a VS for Mosney but the scheme didn’t come off. Perhaps Clogherhead Camp succeeded where Butlin failed…..;)

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

15 hours ago, Galteemore said:

Butlins….Now there’s an interesting bypath and potential cameo….for some odd reason, back in the 60s, Billy Butlin bought up several steam locos for display at his English camps. https://www.butlins-memories.com/other/locos.htm

Although the scheme fizzled out, the locos he saved then entered mainstream preservation. I have read in an authentic source that Butlin was apparently going to acquire a VS for Mosney but the scheme didn’t come off. Perhaps Clogherhead Camp succeeded where Butlin failed…..;)

Yes, G'More, that story, Apocryphal or not, did do the rounds. If he'd got No.207, I wouldn't be saving a couple of Million to build a new one from scratch!

Great building, Patrick, especially the interior - one wonders what your fertile brain will come up with next?

You could build an Orange Hall for that well-known Co. Louth Lodge LOL 1916?

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

2 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

Tea room completed. Pity it’s closed, looks like it would have been a nice spot for a coffee and an iced diamond….

5865A5D2-38D7-401A-A68E-F02EE49421A1.thumb.jpeg.534468dda193ea357aad323f31f474eb.jpeg

0B20789C-BF60-46E7-BD3C-E1D5EC7CB25F.thumb.jpeg.f6326ece3f02a6759f65a810ec88a0ff.jpeg

2BD61BDA-8ABE-4213-828B-56CE8A0026F5.thumb.jpeg.decfd1fe0f77db78d747688b07ebf127.jpeg

A8A02DAC-07EF-4C3E-B95A-D4A625CFCC0B.thumb.jpeg.c0dd40be7aea4e2f0824fe516cd4cdea.jpeg

0973DCFF-04FB-4B5F-8315-B44D814C3231.thumb.jpeg.eabc4711b85b573c8cb5d46c5db2ea0b.jpeg

Almost looks like it was shut down by the Food Standards people or District Health Board.

• Funny 3

9 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

Great suggestion @leslie10646 - it would surely have sash windows? 

Nice one Patrick - I really asked for that!

Now, about the advertising ON THE ROOF -are you expecting passing aircraft to "'drop in" for a cuppa char? I assume that Clogherhead is going to include a local Flying Club with a suitably flat-ish field to land bi-planes?

• Funny 3

A friend on another forum wanted to know who ran the tea rooms and I was able to find out the following information from a Co. Louth local history website:

".....the tea room at Clogherhead station was run by a retired husband and wife team, Earl Grey and Nan Barrie. Their friend's granddaughter would occasionally help out at busy times, she was called Miss Kipling - she was fifteen and exceedingly good at her job but sadly they had to let her go due to her fondness for putting her hair in a bun.  There was also a Miss Cherry and she would definitely bake well but some of her products were a bit crepe.  The tea house was very popular with visiting troops of brownies and it did well until the 1970s when it hit a bit of a rocky road and the turnover began to crumble."
Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 1
  • Funny 10

So it’s on to the station building next, which is going to be based on the very attractive example at Dunleer. A lot of Great Northern station buildings had a glazed wooden panel fronting the platform so that’s where I have started.

The diagonal boarding was created by gluing together 1 mm plastic strips and cutting them into 10 mm² panels with the strips set at 45°.  There is another layer of small windows to go along the top.

The panels had sliding doors, so I might fix these in an open position.

7296DF0D-BD30-464A-8D09-42FA476F5002.jpeg

90FBF5C0-BB20-4A30-9380-1DD062A8A84C.jpeg

C5F6C66E-BC49-4D7D-93FC-E953F2BB646E.jpeg

B801AB45-4E78-49EE-95C5-D745AC99CD48.jpeg

449911E5-6851-429C-AB91-E3C9EA3BEBC1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • WOW! 5

Dunleer is an great prototype and your model looks great (the island waiting room in Drogheda is somewhat similar to the now demolished one in Dunleer). I recently completed a GNRI platform shelter using Ratio signal box windows. The building had to be constructed slightly over-scale to get the proportions correct. Dimensions were based on the shelter in Gormanstown which is one of the few remaining on the system. I have almost completed a GNRI signal box, again using the Ratio windows, but am a bit stymied by how to do the gable-end finials. Help anyone??

image.jpeg

• Like 6
  • WOW! 2

1 hour ago, Louth said:

Dunleer is an great prototype and your model looks great (the island waiting room in Drogheda is somewhat similar to the now demolished one in Dunleer). I recently completed a GNRI platform shelter using Ratio signal box windows. The building had to be constructed slightly over-scale to get the proportions correct. Dimensions were based on the shelter in Gormanstown which is one of the few remaining on the system. I have almost completed a GNRI signal box, again using the Ratio windows, but am a bit stymied by how to do the gable-end finials. Help anyone??

image.jpeg

That is an absolute beauty well done! I would like to see photos of your cabin as well?  For a previous build, I had used finials from Shapeways, but they were very easily broken, so I have used whitemetal ones for my recent cabin builds, I shall look up the link where I ordered them from and update this post accordingly.

That is a really beautiful shelter, and looks like a very neat build, would like to see more!

UPDATE: Here is the link to the whitemetal finials I used: https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/shop/buildings/slc012/

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Louth said:

Thanks Patrick. I will take a few photos and put them up. I'll check out Shapeways and would very much appreciate the link to the white metal finials. Kevin

Updated my post above with the link Kevin.  They are great finials, quite close to the GN ones and very robust.

• Like 1