MURPHY MODELS CLASS 121 sound decoder

Rate this topic

James R

44 minutes ago, fishplate7 said:

Hi James R.

Try Neil Smith at Wheeltappers in the UK.

His website is http://www.wheeltappersdccsounds.co.uk/ 

His Irish decoder sounds are excellent. But beware, you'll be paying importation duty etc., on them as they come from the UK!

Hope this helps!

Eamonn

I have all my MM locos, 33 in all fitted with Neil’s sound decoders, but I’m UK based.

• Agree 1
  • WOW! 1

• 1 month later...
On 29/7/2023 at 5:47 PM, fishplate7 said:

Hi James R.

Try Neil Smith at Wheeltappers in the UK.

His website is http://www.wheeltappersdccsounds.co.uk/ 

His Irish decoder sounds are excellent. But beware, you'll be paying importation duty etc., on them as they come from the UK!

Hope this helps!

Eamonn

To avoid brexististan duty you could order blank decoders from the Euro zone (eg Model Bahnshoplippe) and just buy the serial number locked sound file direct from Neil (via email) if you have access to a LokProgrammer to upload the sound file. His 121 sound project is far superior to the generic ESU one murphy models sold. Better lighting arrangements and infinitely superior prototypical driving characteristics. Blank decoders were about €85 the last time I ordered a batch.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

3 hours ago, Noel said:

To avoid brexististan duty you could order blank decoders from the Euro zone (eg Model Bahnshoplippe) and just buy the serial number locked sound file direct from Neil (via email) if you have access to a LokProgrammer to upload the sound file. His 121 sound project is far superior to the generic ESU one murphy models sold. Better lighting arrangements and infinitely superior prototypical driving characteristics. Blank decoders were about €85 the last time I ordered a batch.

Kind of feeling a little deja vu here.

I'm only starting off in the DCC world, so hold my hands up that I don't have much experience.

Are Murphy Models and ESU really that terrible?

I've tried one of my 121's with a stock Murphy Models decoder and I quite like the way it behaves.

Again, to put this in context, I'm new to the whole thing, but it honestly didn't seem bad to me at all.

I modified the ESU file to allow consist nose to nose running with all marker and headlights on the noses switched off as per the prototype. The red marker lights can also be switched off when hauling a train. If you have a Lokprogrammer this stuff is fairly trivial. As for the sound, I think the HiFi ESU files sound really good but I guess it's all a matter of taste.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murphaph said:

Should've gone to Specsavers @DJ Dangerous lol. No crew fitted (by me at any rate and they were bought new). I have yet to crack open a 121 at all, though it will surely happen as I want cab lighting and crew fitted to mine at some stage. 

I'm sure I could "crack" one open for you!

😂😂😂😂😂

You were looking for a bigger challenge, I believe?

• Funny 2

13 hours ago, murphaph said:

I modified the ESU file to allow consist nose to nose running with all marker and headlights on the noses switched off as per the prototype. The red marker lights can also be switched off when hauling a train. If you have a Lokprogrammer this stuff is fairly trivial. As for the sound, I think the HiFi ESU files sound really good but I guess it's all a matter of taste.

With the Z21 you can do this from your handset, no mucking about but fair play.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

With the Z21 you can do this from your handset, no mucking about but fair play.

So what is so terrible about Murphy Models and ESU decoders? It's been mentioned a few times that they have terrible driving characteristics, poor lighting options etc. I think that members use the word "vanilla" to describe them.

From what I have seen, and from @murphaph's cracking video, they don't seem terrible to me.

Only problem with that video is that I bite my nails every time a loco gets so close to the edge. No better man to fix them when they fall off, I guess.

26 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

So what is so terrible about Murphy Models and ESU decoders? It's been mentioned a few times that they have terrible driving characteristics, poor lighting options etc. I think that members use the word "vanilla" to describe them.

From what I have seen, and from @murphaph's cracking video, they don't seem terrible to me.

Typical internet, 1 person says its no good/best thing ever and its suddenly gospel. Up to the individual, don't be swayed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Up until IE fitted the LED twin marker lights, the 121/141/181 didn't have two red lights. That is why they had tail lamps when running light. A few of the 121s got the "bus" lights as I call them for push/pull. From memory 122/124/130/131 and 126 eventually. 

Edited by BEANO3005
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1