Newspaper article

Rate this topic

Gabhal Luimnigh

2 hours ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

Excellent video by jhb here on teaching kids about the railway, well done sir.👏

Screenshot_2023-08-29-20-58-23-269_com.android.chrome.jpg

Many thanks, Gabhal Luimnigh!

Dunno where she got the "expert" bit from!!!

I had actually forgotten about that interview.... it shows the model railway museum off nicely though; hopefully more visitors.

Serious point of course - people in general DO need to be more aware of their local, social and economic history - and the role of their local railway is a very important part of that - it's from where their Great Aunt emigrated in 1929 to go to  Melbourne, Manchester or Massachusets............. and if you get a young mind engaged, IRM and others will produce more models in 10, 20, 30 & 40 years' time!

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

Not just model railways of course, but the real thing too. Perhaps they meant to say that you are the very model of a modern railway expert?*

The museum, and the wider railway enthusiast community (and this forum in particular) are lucky to have you 

apologies to Gilbert & Sullivan fans, but I couldn't resist

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I had actually forgotten about that interview.... it shows the model railway museum off nicely though; hopefully more visitors.

Serious point of course - people in general DO need to be more aware of their local, social and economic history - and the role of their local railway is a very important part of that - it's from where their Great Aunt emigrated in 1929 to go to  Melbourne, Manchester or Massachusets............. and if you get a young mind engaged, IRM and others will produce more models in 10, 20, 30 & 40 years' time!

I think people here have been more engaged with who shot at whom in the War of Independence (the WOI sequel still being spoken of in hushed tones) but social and economic history is getting more attention than lists of battles in recent years thankfully.

I've noticed otherwise professional historians producing articles and podcasts of excellent 19th/20th century material, but dropping terrible clangers when railways come into the story! Usually it's getting railway terminology and company names wrong.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Ya legend….😜

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flying Snail said:

Not just model railways of course, but the real thing too. Perhaps they meant to say that you are the very model of a modern railway expert?*

The museum, and the wider railway enthusiast community (and this forum in particular) are lucky to have you 

apologies to Gilbert & Sullivan fans, but I couldn't resist

It's the Gilbert O'Sullivan fans you need to worry about.

• Funny 3

Well, in that spirit, you might enjoy humming along to this:

I am the very model of an Irish rail historian, 
I've researched all the timetables, both modern and Victorian, 
From steam to diesel engines, through history I'm delving deep, 
With every kind of locomotive, my knowledge is a treasure heap.

I know the routes of yesteryears, the stations closed and lines removed, 
From Dublin down to Cork I've tracked, no railway fact I've disapproved, 
In tunnels, viaducts, and yards, I find stories that enthrall, 
I am the very model of a railway historian, after all.

I've memorized each engine type, their numbers and their histories, 
From Great Southern Railways to CIE, with all their mysteries, 
I know the tales of navvies, who laid the tracks through rain and shine, 
Their sweat and toil, their triumphs told in every rail that curves and winds.

I've cataloged old photographs, preserved the stories in my heart, 
Of rail workers and travelers, who played their role in this grand art, 
Though some lines may have faded, and stations long gone from view, 
I keep their memory alive, through books, museums, and interviews.

So when you seek a tale of rails, with dates and lore quite historical, 
From Belfast to Limerick Junction, my knowledge is categorical, 
In Irish rail history, I'm a passionate and learned soul, 
I am the very model of a railway historian, on a roll!

.. all credit/blame goes to ChatGPT for the rewrite of the original Gilbert & Sullivan lyrics. As an aside, I'm not sure if we should be impressed or scared by how quickly AI is moving.  Who knows how long before it's writing timetables or government railway strategies? (maybe it is already?!!)

• Funny 7

21 minutes ago, Flying Snail said:

.. all credit/blame goes to ChatGPT for the rewrite of the original Gilbert & Sullivan lyrics. As an aside, I'm not sure if we should be impressed or scared by how quickly AI is moving.  Who knows how long before it's writing timetables or government railway strategies? (maybe it is already?!!)

Wow……..!! The AI thing will indeed revolutionise life - dunno whether mostly good or bad!

My fear would be that it will be used commercially to try to make us buy certain things……

• Agree 1