Ghosts of Irish railways.

Rate this topic

Metrovik

There was a haunted bridge in Dunmanway where a drunken passenger opened the door and fell through the bridge, the body was never found. It is the only bit of West Cork Mainline where the rails were kept, some say one of the reasons was because they knew twas cursed. see the below link of a photo of the bridge relitivly recently taken by the late Fred Dean

Milleenanannig Bridge.

• Like 3
  • WOW! 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2023 at 8:30 PM, Metrovik said:

What with Halloween being literally right round the corner, it struck me that I didn't know of any ghost stories about Irish railways unlike their British counterparts. Anyone know of any?

I'd say just the sheer density of their railways compared to us. And then there's the affinity British people have with their railways whereas here there is still a lingering notion  that they are a bit "foreign" in the landscape, a product of the invader. There are a few stories, local in nature so not as well known.

1 hour ago, minister_for_hardship said:

I'd say just the sheer density of their railways compared to us. And then there's the affinity British people have with their railways whereas here there is still a lingering notion  that they are a bit "foreign" in the landscape, a product of the invader. There are a few stories, local in nature so not as well known.

Having been to Yorkshire this year, I can say you're absolutely right. There just seems to be more of a cultural appreciation amongst the people there for the railways

• Like 1

At Attymon Junction there was a ghost. It was said that a local girl went there after arranging to meet a man she intended to elope with. When he didn’t turn up she threw herself in front of a train.

She evidently haunts the place to this day. A former signalman from there, who I know, claims to have seen her not once but twice.

This casualty is, though, strangely absent from any MGWR, GSR or CIE records…..

Just months after the Co Donegal had been lifted, a gatekeeper who still lived in a gatehouse somewhere on the Killybegs line heard a whistle one night. He went outside and saw a ghost train passing through the gateless, trackless crossing….

In Tuam loco shed, there was s poltergeist who moved things about. You would set something down and when you came back it had been moved somewhere else.

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

At Attymon Junction there was a ghost. It was said that a local girl went there after arranging to meet a man she intended to elope with. When he didn’t turn up she threw herself in front of a train.

She evidently haunts the place to this day. A former signalman from there, who I know, claims to have seen her not once but twice.

This casualty is, though, strangely absent from any MGWR, GSR or CIE records…..

Just months after the Co Donegal had been lifted, a gatekeeper who still lived in a gatehouse somewhere on the Killybegs line heard a whistle one night. He went outside and saw a ghost train passing through the gateless, trackless crossing….

In Tuam loco shed, there was s poltergeist who moved things about. You would set something down and when you came back it had been moved somewhere else.

You are at the black stuff again Jonathan…..😜

• Like 1
  • Funny 3