Shades of Orange

Rate this topic

Noel

Interesting comparing the different shades of Shades of CIE/IR/IE Orange on models. Reruns and new orange coaching stock due from various manufactures this next year including Mk2 variants and Mk3.

Mix your own options:

IMG_5216.jpg

MM stock

IMG_4327.jpg

MM 177 out of the box, MM mk2d out of the box, MM 182 out of the box

IMG_4326.jpg

MM 083 top straight out of the box, adjusted MM mk2d roof, MM mk2d roof straight out of the box

IMG_5204.jpg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 minute ago, Noel said:

Interesting comparing the different shades of Shades of CIE/IR/IE Orange on models. Reruns and new orange coaching stock due from various manufactures this next year including Mk2 variants and Mk3.

Mix your own options:

IMG_5216.jpg

MM stock

IMG_4327.jpg

MM 177 out of the box, MM mk2d out of the box, MM 182 out of the box

IMG_4326.jpg

MM 083 top straight out of the box, adjusted MM mk2d roof, MM mk2d roof straight out of the box

IMG_5204.jpg

The MM 182 looks, to me, to be too deep a colour for any era. The other shades are more accurate.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

The MM 182 looks, to me, to be too deep a colour for any era. The other shades are more accurate.

I thought that myself until I read Rails through the West. There are several pictures of freshly painted/cleaned locos and that shade looks spot on.

17 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Colour is such an emotive thing and so much depends on ambient lighting, to say nothing about the effects of dirt, fading and so on. The variations display really are significant though!

Well said! As a kid, avidly watching the Supertrain liveried trains run by I don't remember anything but the heavily faded light-orange hue!

Scale is also an overlooked factor. The correct shade will tend to look darker when it appears on a model.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

We're lucky in that CIE/IR struggled until quite late on to put out a consistent shade of orange. We get away with these off-shades and in fact a uniform shade of orange in a train, even of mk3's, looks wrong. We can mix and match the new MM mk2ds and the earlier (later!) ones, as well as the MM mk2a/b's and the upcoming IRM mk2c's and they will look spot on.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, murphaph said:

We're lucky in that CIE/IR struggled until quite late on to put out a consistent shade of orange. We get away with these off-shades and in fact a uniform shade of orange in a train, even of mk3's, looks wrong. We can mix and match the new MM mk2ds and the earlier (later!) ones, as well as the MM mk2a/b's and the upcoming IRM mk2c's and they will look spot on.

Exactly. CIE stock was the very definition of mix'n'match!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Some vastly different shades here in both Mark 2D and Mark 3 sets....

Screenshot_20231022_231913_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20190129-004710_YouTube.jpg

Hi guys, the reason for the different shades of paint, is that the Mk3 gen van, and the Mk 2 coach in the photo's, had not yet been painted in the new ICI delux  2 pack orange paint that Irish rail had started to use in the then newly refurbished ( 1999/ 2000) paint shop in Inchicore. The older everlac brand of paint , that Irish rail used was a completely different shade of orange than the ICI  paint. Paul....

• Like 2
  • Informative 6

On 15/1/2024 at 4:49 PM, jhb171achill said:

Cheers JHB. 182 was my first ever MM model, bought at the Fry layout at Malahide castle about 17 years ago. It got me back into the hobby. A few years ago with some fear and reverence for her I risked weathering the pristine model which changed her appearance somewhat as below. Colours are affected by light, time of day, back drop, reflection, so many things. The most unrealistic shade of orange for me were the mk2d coaches with an almost yellow shade or orange rather than the red tinted mud brown orange actually used by CIE.

MM0182_Weathering.jpg

Edited by Noel
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Cheers JHB. 182 was my first ever MM model, bought at the Fry layout at Malahide castle about 17 years ago. It got me back into the hobby. A few years ago with some fear and reverence for her I risked weathering the pristine model which changed her appearance somewhat as below. Colours are affected by light, time of day, back drop, reflection, so many things. The most unrealistic shade of orange for me were the mk2d coaches with an almost yellow shade or orange rather than the red tinted mud brown orange actually used by CIE.

MM0182_Weathering.jpg

Looks well weathered!

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...