CB&SCR Baldwin 062st drawing

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Yes, they were very far from picturesque! One of the most ungainly looking steam locomotives I’ve ever seen….

They look similar to some of the engines built for railways in South Wales. 

The other 290+ drawings in that archive are fascinating. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I’d say they are, yes!

Never knew there were equivalents in Wales!! Where and when?

I seem to recall that the Barry Railway had some very American-looking 0-8-2Ts at one stage. 

Update: ah, no, it was an 0-6-2T. Class K, apparently. Photo of one here:

Barry Railway 119

It was the Port Talbot Railway that had the American-built 0-8-2Ts:

Sample photo here

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 3

I think, IIRC, the situation arose from full order books with GB loco manufacturers in the late c19th, so a few odd US locos found their way to these islands. GCR, GNR, Midland all had them. The first US import was actually as early as the 1840s. IMG_20190122_0017-X2.jpg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2
  • Informative 2

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

I think, IIRC, the situation arose from full order books with GB loco manufacturers in the late c19th, so a few odd US locos found their way to these islands. GCR, GNR, Midland all had them...

IMG_20190122_0017-X2.jpg

The Schenectady Mogul - or something very similar- in the photo may also have found their way to Norway. There is a drawing for them, for engines numbered 22 to 24, in the aforementioned archive.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

I posted that Baldwin drawing quite a few years ago. I rather suspect that all of the American imports were not successful/ liked in  the UK is the totally different engineering philosiphy of the American builders and the "not invented here" attitude of GB engineers. That ones still about!

Interesting article about the Port Talbot 0-8-2t's in Railway Archive No 4 July 2003 it also has a very good drawing. They were built by Cooke of Paterson NJ.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

I posted that Baldwin drawing quite a few years ago. I rather suspect that all of the American imports were not successful/ liked in  the UK is the totally different engineering philosiphy of the American builders and the "not invented here" attitude of GB engineers. That ones still about!

Interesting article about the Port Talbot 0-8-2t's in Railway Archive No 4 July 2003 it also has a very good drawing. They were built by Cooke of Paterson NJ.

Mike, Apologies for reposting the link.

I did try to search the forum before I posted it but drew a blank.

Rob

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike 84C said:

.... I rather suspect that all of the American imports were not successful/ liked in  the UK is the totally different engineering philosiphy of the American builders and the "not invented here" attitude of GB engineers. That ones still about!...

Non-standard designs, and possibly some way ahead of contemporary British engines. And yet, in the years to come, British designers did adopt some American practices, such as tapered boilers.

By 1926, British locomotive design standardisation was arguably being left behind again, this time by the German "Einheitslok" design principles.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

If I ever get around to scratchbuilding one in S scale I will be 3d printing the tank etc which should rescale up or down as required.

Too many other things to do before then so don't hold your breath........

Rob