How to scratchbuild gutters and downpipes

Rate this topic

Glenderg

Guys,

I'm posting this here cos a google search was fruitless last night - unless you consider ripping apart umbrellas - so I set myself the challenge of designing and building a jig to make scale gutters. Hoping a google search may bring others here. Here goes.

You'll need some scrap brass or metal to make the press, some lolipop sticks to make the locking block, some card, a cocktail stick, some clear plastic and tin foil.

First of the Tin Foil - This is a case of laying out ordinary tinfoil, dull side up, spraying it with spray mount glue, and folding it over on itself. PVA or solvent glue will also work, though takes longer to dry. I've folded the tin foil over on itself to make 8 ply foil, light enough to fold, but strong enough to retain its shape.

When it's folded over, its rolled with something from the baking drawer. A shot glass, or something similar will also work.

It doesn't have to be perfect, the creases add character to the final item.

This is the concept drawing, the built jig is far from perfect, but the basic idea works. The dimensions shown are in real mm up top, and scale inches [lol] below.

This is the completed jig, with female to the left, locking block in the middle and sliding male upturned on the right.

The trimmed edge foil is slotted in vertically to the jig the locking block wedged in to hold the foil in place. A lolipop stick can be used here, and timber should be used here instead of plastic or card.

(Can't attach more than 5 images at a go.. Please Wait..)

DSCF4998.jpg

DSCF4997.jpg

DSCF4995.jpg

DSCF5003.jpg

DSCF5002.jpg

DSCF4998.jpg

DSCF4997.jpg

DSCF4995.jpg

DSCF5003.jpg

DSCF5002.jpg

Fold the foil over at a right angle and crease.

The male press is pushed down into the foil channel and slid back and forth to form the curved gutter. The Brass edge here also acts as a cutting guide.

The male press removed and foil trimmed off with a sharp scalpel. The locking block can now be removed to release the created shape.

A completed mock-up with the gutter in place. The vertical face helps glue it to the fascia board and can be painted white for uPVC or brown grey to blend into a fascia background. The downpipe is a piece of copper wire from heavy duty twin and earth cable, about 1mm thick. Cheap earphone cable can also be used to create bends etc. and glued to the face of the model, held relatively tight with superglue to keep straight.

Job Done.:banana:

Richie.

DSCF5008.jpg

DSCF5004.jpg

DSCF5001.jpg

DSCF4999.jpg

DSCF5008.jpg

DSCF5004.jpg

DSCF5001.jpg

DSCF4999.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Seems like a lot of hard work to me...

In 7mm scale, use 60 or 80thou plasticard & simply file/sand the leading edge to the front profile of the gutter [round or square], then paint the top edge black before glueing under the overhang. If models are being observed at a reasonable height, it is hard to see into the gutter & after MANY exhibitions have yet to have anyone notice the deception.

I agree David, it can be done that by sanding the edge of plasticard and looks spot on, but when there's loads of them to be built, (24ft of them) I had to find an alternative method! This is the latest version of the jig, and only takes about 10 minutes to make about 12 feet of industrial guttering.

in place on a model

Richie

DSCF5560.jpg

DSCF5559.jpg

DSCF5560.jpg

DSCF5559.jpg