WTs on the spoil

Rate this topic

Most were scrapped, though NIR used a few as ballast wagons for a while. They are all long gone now. In use they were actually found to be quite unstable! Livery oddity too; they were delivered from Cravens in duck-egg blue with black chassis, and "U T" stencilled on them in black along with the number. They most certainly didn't stay like that for long!

love it! one question comes to mind - as the jeeps were at opposite ends, how did the drivers synchronize the engines speed espically at starting off?[ATTACH=CONFIG]6912[/ATTACH]

More or less like towing a car mainly by feel :) !

The drivers may have used whistle signals before starting off, applying and releasing the brakes, but the driver on the trailing loco would mainly be dependant on the movement of the train and road knowledge when to put on steam or ease off.

I once drove small diesels in the UK, it is much the same with double heading the main thing is to avoid sudden starts or snatches otherwise you can break a coupler or tear the end out of a wagon.

Great video ianyone notice the NIR logo on the loco at the quarry? the most striking thing was the youth of the lads watering the loco at York Road, I wonder were they railway employees or a couple of lads helping out at the shed on a Saturday morning, things were a lot more easy going in those days!

Looking at the video, it would seem that they could well be some local lads. Certainly a relative of mine when younger spent most of his afternoons after or possibly during school hours going down to Yorkroad and at the age of 14-18 he and his friends drove and fired the stone trains under supervision on the mainline and often ran the locos round the trains prior to banning of double heading. It certainly was a lot more easy going then, judging by the miles of cine film in the house.

More or less like towing a car mainly by feel :) !

The drivers may have used whistle signals before starting off, applying and releasing the brakes, but the driver on the trailing loco would mainly be dependant on the movement of the train and road knowledge when to put on steam or ease off.

I once drove small diesels in the UK, it is much the same with double heading the main thing is to avoid sudden starts or snatches otherwise you can break a coupler or tear the end out of a wagon.

thanks john

Great find Mogul. I did a lot of searching on the Web prior to my attempt at making Spoil Wagons and this is the best footage I have seen. I’m sure Leslie (Provincial Wagons ) would be interested as he is working on Spoil Wagon Kits at the moment.

As Mayner says, there were recognised official procedures for trains "topping and tailing". One jeep, preserved no. 4, had an NIR logo on one side and a UTA one on the other. Two other jeeps had both sides with NIR logos... I have a note somewhere of which ones.

Crews included "oul hands" and new starts. Two NIR men were still in their teens. One, who went on into the 1990's, was pictured firing a spoil train in bell bottom jeans, tank top and long hair, rather than traditional locomen's attire!