Help needed

Rate this question

heirflick

Question

lads, this is a computer question (and it railway related - because without the laptop i cant access the site when away from home!!) im told that any computer repair shop could charge up to 150 euros to get it running, and i would rather spend that on the galway liveried coaches!

the laptop is an Acer aspire, it was working fine but my young lad had it for a while and now it starts up ok but you cant get on line or play a dvd , in fact i cant access any programs. there is an antivirus software on the machine and it shows all as secure.however there is a security warning on the bottom right of the screen saying 'firewall warning- hiddeen file transfer to remote host has been detected, activate internet security now' i cant access that either. tried system restore , cant access that . can i press any key on start up to activate factory default settings? any help is appreciated!

22 answers to this question

My Techy Chap says -

Sounds like he has some serious malware issue's.

Start up in "safe mode with networking". To get the options for this on screen he needs to repeatedly press F8 when switching the PC on.

If internet then allows him to connect in safemode, tell him to download and run this one time scanner from Malwarebytes. The web address is http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/mbar/

Hopefully that will help. If he still cant access the internet in safe mode either, then downloading the above and using a memory stick would work to get it onto the required pc from a working one.

No guarantees, but this is how I would personally go at it before looking into anything else.

I've been using Malwarebytes with Microsoft Security Essentials for a few years, on his recommendation, with no issues at all.

thanks to all who replied , but the award for the 'saint of the year' goes to Broithe! spot on advice - hit f8 straight to safe mode and system restore, that done, straight to the malware site, downloaded the anti mal stuff, 4 bugs detected and removed . laptop now like new! thanks a mil broithe and pass on my appreciation to the tech whiz kid!=D pints to ye all:cheers: apparently the problem lay with a site called frostwire - so stay well clear of that crap!

PS....I LOVE THIS SITE! - where else would you get help like this?:x

thanks to all who replied , but the award for the 'saint of the year' goes to Broithe! spot on advice - hit f8 straight to safe mode and system restore, that done, straight to the malware site, downloaded the anti mal stuff, 4 bugs detected and removed . laptop now like new! thanks a mil broithe and pass on my appreciation to the tech whiz kid!=D pints to ye all:cheers: apparently the problem lay with a site called frostwire - so stay well clear of that crap!

PS....I LOVE THIS SITE! - where else would you get help like this?:x

Glad you got it sorted. Having had fun and games with malware I would never go down the road of a complete reinstall. It's just not needed. Provided you have another PC you should be able to search for and download the required fix and then copy across with a memory stick. Then blast the PC with every respectable malware killer possible, preferably in safemode.

http://lifehacker.com/5227896/five-best-malware-removal-tools

Hijackthis is something you should have on as the canary in the goldmine. It won't fix anything, but if you run it every few days, you can see if there is anything new and dodgy and take a search friom there. Very little can hide from it.

But I have to say €150 for a fix sounds a bit rich.

And tell that young fellah to stop playing online games etc., they are riddled with sh'te!

Edited by Weshty

thanks des, i've learned a lot today(the hard way!!) the 150 quoted by the ? expert was for reinstalling the operating system aswell as all updates - i presume it was for time he was charging. anyway all is well and the lad has been confined to his x box from now on!

is there no end to your talents? were you down at brens lately?

Just never ask me to wire your layout, or paint anything! I haven't, work has taken over again these past few months, but I might have a lot of free time coming up again soon sadly :(

Will have to organise something down Laois way over the summer!