Sad Sight

Rate this topic

Kirley

Someone on RMWeb said one was secured for preservation at Downpatrick and maybe an 80 class too. Wonder if there's any truth in it?

JB would be the man to answer that, I am sure he will pop along soon, but I thought they were only taking some common spare parts off the Castle for use on a 80.

There is indeed an arrangement for the DCDR to take a 2 car 80 at some stage; this should go ahead but cannot be said to be definite until nearer the time. DCDR will not be taking a Castle Class; it has neither been offered one nor' date=' it has to be said, does the DCDR want one![/quote']

Thanks for the clarification, just goes to show that is some amount of rubbish posted online!

I understand that First Group (I think) had a look at the Castles as a possible acquisition but the fact that they are (a) 25+ years old anyway and wouldn't really provide a better travelling ambience than a refurbished Pacer or Sprinter, and (b) would apparently have cost a good bit to convert to 4'8" , killed the idea. Over a couple of pints a few of us thought we'd buy a couple and run a micro franchise between Lisburn and Antrim, but for some deep reason which I forget, we didn't go ahead....

The report was that what really put First Group off was the fact that when they asked for the wiring diagrams for the units there was sketchy details of mods carried out during the years and that the class had ended up with no two units having the exact same wiring which is an absolute nightmare for unfamiliar electrical staff trying to find a fault. As for this being a sad sight if you suffered them on a regular basis and not just as an enthusiast then I'm sure you would be only too delighted to see them as a coke can, they ended up along with the Class80's almost causing the closure of the lines north of Ballymena and Whitehead.

8454 & 8459 got moved to Adelaide Permanent Way Yard from storage at the parcel bay siding at Belfast Central Station on the 12.5.13 by GM 112 + Gatwick carriages 941 & 942 link to pics of the movement

Pics of 8454 & 8459 getting scrapped at Adelaide on the 14.5.13 & 15.5.13 will be added to mysite over the next 48 hrs

8456 got scrapped on the 1.5.13 at Ballymena Permanent Way Yard pics are in the May folder of my website

Edited by Gordon71