BosKonay

• 2 years later...

In Lidl today

Nice set of small power tools for the workshop;-

Lidl Tools-00 IMAG1896.jpg

€24.99 for the belt sander

€24.99 for the bench grinder and polisher

€19.99 for the jigsaw

The thing about big tools is when you bolt them down to the bench there is no bench left, these tools are ideal and could be left in position for handy use!

Eoin

Thanks Eoin, but sadly the Maidstone branch of Lidl does not stock them. Shame. That said, there is an ever changing range of stuff there, so it pays to keep an eye out.

Just wondering on the power of those tools. I have a very nice Proxxon drill, but it has limited torque and [especially with a slitting disc] will soon stop on any heavy work. Hence also have a Dremel, which seems to have enough oomph for anything. Actually used it for cutting out the frames of Sir Henry, where it went through doubled 22thous nickel silver like the proverbial knife through butter. not subtle, but it works!

I have the variable speed proxxon mini drill , I find it miles better then any Dremel, better bearings , stronger etc, I also have several other proxxon bits of kit including a Cnc equipped mf50 mill and a pillar drill , I find it excellent equipment for the price

Currently saving for a seig c3 lathe and a i3 3D printer

Thanks Eoin, but sadly the Maidstone branch of Lidl does not stock them. Shame. That said, there is an ever changing range of stuff there, so it pays to keep an eye out.

Current and upcoming UK Lidl offers can be found here - http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/index.htm - you may need to enter a postcode to select a store, as there can be regional variations in the current offers - usually just a few weeks difference between UK & Ireland - always worth a look every week or so...

Same applies to UK Aldi - https://www.aldi.co.uk/ .

Having bought the Lidl miniature tools, the sander and jigsaw are good, the bench grinder is very underpowered and in my view is not up to much,

Aldi currently have " proper" bench grinders ( 2 types ) at the moment

The ether thing to beware is that often I find that things in Aldi and Lidl can be purchased cheaper on the Net too.

Edited by Junctionmad

I have one of the early Lidl cordless multi-tools - the cells began to fail after a good while and I managed to open the battery and replace them - they are AA size, so it wasn't too difficult. It works very well and I have hardly ever felt the need to plug the mains one in since then. I did also replace the collets with a chuck and that has been a useful mod, I feel.

abbc1b84-319d-49be-b167-7196db69c8f0-bg1.jpg

I can't vouch for whether the later batteries are openable or not - anything can be done, I suppose, but there can be a tendency to impede the consumer these days...

Hi David

The Proxxon drills come in different flavours, it depends on which one you have and they are only light-work machines same with the Dremel. If you require something with umph one needs a high speed spindle drill but they come at a premium in the range of €400.00 up to €2,000.00....

I've just purchased a StepperCraft A3 CNC Machine Kit with HSS drill and other attachments- not telling how much it cost, but cant wait for the courier to come calling...

Eoin

I've bought that Parkside "dremel" in the past. Or rather it has been bought for me with all the accessories. The grinding stones might as well be made of sherbert, they wouldn't grind the skin off sour milk. And the dremel thing has a chuck that wobbles. Put any length of a bit in, turn it on, and it looks more like a whisk. Awful junk.

JM

You mentioned a C3, I have a Clarke version, I upgraded it over the years to the same spec as an ArcEuro C3- its a deadly machine and love using it BUT;- if you can afford it go for something bigger, everything is very tight (close together) on these little machines, all the stuff gets in the way of your hands and using small drill bits is a nightmare as the saddle gets in the way of the tailstock!

Go bigger, if I was doing it again I would....

Eoin

G

oooohh! like sherbert, do you remember the stuff that came in the tube with a liquorish straw....

Eoin

Yip, thats exactly what I'm talking about Eoin, and exactly what the grinding heads turn into after trying to use them. Having said that, they polish Balsa wood to a nice shine.......

Much useful info. Thanks chaps. Maidstone had the bench grinder, plus a drill stand for 15 squid. That said my old pillar drill is still going strong, touch wood. Got the Dremel last year and despite much use and abuse, it works fine and wouldn't be without it. The Proxcon was cheaper and is fine on light work. Have often been tempted by the high end versions, but am happy to get by at the moment.

Edited by David Holman

Hi David

The Proxxon drills come in different flavours, it depends on which one you have and they are only light-work machines same with the Dremel. If you require something with umph one needs a high speed spindle drill but they come at a premium in the range of €400.00 up to €2,000.00....

I've just purchased a StepperCraft A3 CNC Machine Kit with HSS drill and other attachments- not telling how much it cost, but cant wait for the courier to come calling...

Eoin

Personally having had a Dremel , the proxxon is substantially better engineered , runs quieter and with less vibration , used for drilling , slitting , I've no issue with the power

The last thing you need for precision work is a screamer of a unit, you need torque

Ps will be interested to here about your Cnc bed I was always suspicious of x-y millers , given the issues of head stability , so will await your experiences with interest , good luck with all that. I find a Cnc Mill very useful. Mind you, if I could only get good CAM software that didn't break the bank !!

JM

You mentioned a C3, I have a Clarke version, I upgraded it over the years to the same spec as an ArcEuro C3- its a deadly machine and love using it BUT;- if you can afford it go for something bigger, everything is very tight (close together) on these little machines, all the stuff gets in the way of your hands and using small drill bits is a nightmare as the saddle gets in the way of the tailstock!

Go bigger, if I was doing it again I would....

Eoin

Well for what I want a 7 by 14 lathe is way big enough. The next one up is the seig sc4 and is nearly three time the price , in my case the SC3 suits the space too and the brush less drive now gives it great versatility. At least it's way bigger then a unimat !

Hi

I gave the bench grinder its first wherrrrrr this morning, processing a batch of screws for a DART set chassis;-

Lidl Tools-01 IMAG1897.jpg

At 1/4 regulator open it works an absolute treat, nice and quiet and far better than the Dremil screaming in my ear and blowing cold air in the face!

Lidl Tools-02 IMAG1898.jpg

The grinding table support needs a little up-stand for to rotate the pliers on and the job will be perfect.

I then turned to the brass wire brush to clean up a bit of the flyingscot soldered brass back chassis, again at low speed, it cleaned up beautifully with little effort. Though a softer wire brush would be better.

Lidl Tools-03 IMAG1899.jpg

Lidl Tools-05 IMAG1900.jpg

Lidl Tools-04 IMAG1902.jpg

Very happy with this addition to the workshop and my ears really appreciate it.....

Eoin

Safety Tip Using Brush Wheels;-

There is no guard on this wheel so be extra careful, and a good idea is to put something soft about 300mm behind the machine- just in case the wheel takes the work piece out of the hand the soft object will retain it and hopefully minimise damage.

Never put your fingers inside an object being worked on always hold it on flat surfaces and not on protruding edges.

Bring the work piece up to the wheel under the centre line of the wheel.

Read the safety instructions that came with the machine.

Hi

Just a note on a previous post about the Lidl grinding wheel for the hand held unit;-

Though the Lidl ones may be soft, but one wants the wheel to disintegrate (hopefully at a slow rate), this is how the wheel works- as chips break off it leaves a continual sharp surface on the wheel to do its job

Eoin

Hi

Just a note on a previous post about the Lidl grinding wheel for the hand held unit;-

Though the Lidl ones may be soft, but one wants the wheel to disintegrate (hopefully at a slow rate), this is how the wheel works- as chips break off it leaves a continual sharp surface on the wheel to do its job

Eoin

After 5 mins using the brass wire brush, there were about half a dozen wires left on it! Most having hit me in the hand or face as they parted company from the wheel

Here's a great little tool that I use. It's a flush cutter, I use 3 of them in the workshop for various jobs. Great for track cutting, brass and plastic kits. I liked them so much I bought in a load of them to sell!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21453[/ATTACH]

I got one of those at the 'Abbeyleix' show in Port Laoise last year - a fine device.