Heljan Beyer Garratt

Rate this topic

Well the beast was unleashed today and I have to say what a smooth runner it was. Powerful too, a really impressive machine all round until it decided to go pop at one end after about 90 minutes running. Looks like a seized or burnt out motor. Back to Hattons she goes. Wouldn't mind, but we were only up to about 70 wagons at the time! :rolleyes:

Well the beast was unleashed today and I have to say what a smooth runner it was. Powerful too, a really impressive machine all round until it decided to go pop at one end after about 90 minutes running. Looks like a seized or burnt out motor. Back to Hattons she goes. Wouldn't mind, but we were only up to about 70 wagons at the time! :rolleyes:

this happen at camp brendan?

Coreless motors do need a little circuit protection. It may be the circuit failing which led to one motor failing.

Is there any way of getting access to the affected motor? Will it respond to a 9v battery across the terminals?

I can access the motor no problem Ivan and will give it a go if possible. Mind you I don't want to do too much incase I void the warranty and it turns out to be a motor burnout after all. I'll see how far I can go

Sure was Shem, I think he was eyeing up what member of the family he could sell off to fund one. They're seriously impressive when they work!

Safer to send back and wait than risk voiding the warranty on an expensive loco.

Heljan had reliability issues with some of their diesels and ended up supplying free replacement chassis for the 1st batch of Class 17 Claytons which had similar reliability issues to the real locos.

Safer to send back and wait than risk voiding the warranty on an expensive loco.

Heljan had reliability issues with some of their diesels and ended up supplying free replacement chassis for the 1st batch of Class 17 Claytons which had similar reliability issues to the real locos.

I read on RMWeb that I'm not the only one having problems and Hattons have an excellent reputation in returns.

I also have a Clayton that works...

Fran, never had to send anything back, but do Hattons pick up the postage tab? i emagine the cost to send the Beast over is high.

I had to send one American loco back before and I think they picked up the postage. First Heljan loco ever to go bad on me, and in fairness I do have well over 20 of their engines.

Fran I take it that the motors are in the tenders. Is it wired in such a way that both motors won't work against each other. Shame it happened I would have loved to have seen some video of her running.

Rich,

They are Rich, one motor each end.

Update: Having been so busy with work I hadn't the chance to sort out returning it. I tested it on DC last night just to make sure it was not a chip issue and lo and behold it worked correctly! Looks like the Lenz chip or some PCB issue is to blame!

• 1 month later...