Ie track work

Rate this topic

heirflick

]on a quick trip to port sunday evening i saw this section of track and could not figure out what it was constructed like this for...why the split rails-any thoughts?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]792[/ATTACH

couldnt help notice how uneven the track was..

port 010.jpg

port 006.jpg

port 009.jpg

port 010.jpg

port 006.jpg

port 009.jpg

I think the split rail might be to tie the sleepers together to prevent the moving as the rail expands. Maybe its uneven because points and crossings are packed by a different tamper than straight rail so will P&Cs are kept well packed while plain track will subside with time.

All quite correct, they are installed in Continuously Welded Rail (CWR) they allow for expansion/contraction due to heat and are often installed at the end of the run near points.

If any one wants to model them Peco SL-44

They do actually work like the real ones do as I can testify!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]796[/ATTACH]This looking towards Dublin from Ballybrophy - hang on tight!

I blame Michael.

jesus Broithe, i knew that section of the line was bad -but not that bad!!! i thought that line was upgraded?:confused: board na mona bog railways are more even than that!!!

jesus Broithe, i knew that section of the line was bad -but not that bad!!! i thought that line was upgraded?:confused: board na mona bog railways are more even than that!!!
That's a few years ago, but I don't think it's had much done to it since. they've replaced the track in the station itself and removed the points into the unused siding to the goods shed. It's a very low angle shot and it probably makes it look worse than it is, but there'll be no TGVs through there for a while...

• 3 weeks later...