SPOILing the Ulstermen?

Rate this topic

leslie10646

The colour you have chosen, Leslie, is to my memory as exact as you'll get. I never saw a pristine one myself, but have seen good quality colour pics (somewhere), and my own efforts to rub dirt off the side of one at one time would also bear this out.

The "some lot from Liverpool" you mention were called the "Woodlice" or "Insects" or something, and were an Oasis tribute band - for me, a Stones fan, no better at their craft than the grumpy Gallagher brothers......

The colour you have chosen, Leslie, is to my memory as exact as you'll get. I never saw a pristine one myself, but have seen good quality colour pics (somewhere), and my own efforts to rub dirt off the side of one at one time would also bear this out.

The "some lot from Liverpool" you mention were called the "Woodlice" or "Insects" or something, and were an Oasis tribute band - for me, a Stones fan, no better at their craft than the grumpy Gallagher brothers......

Careful, John, we'll be thrown off the site for straying from the topic!

Happy Easter, everyone.

Leslie

• 1 month later...

There's been a double hiccup on this project.

Robert Drysdale pointed out a fault on the prototype, but as it turned out - not the right "fault - the hopper was too small and didn't have enough "overhang".

So, Michael set about remodelling it and I understand is nearly there.

Then, he had a mini-stroke! He says he's got over it, but it's sure to slow him up a bit for a while.

So, if you're given to praying, add Michael to your prayer list.

I'll keep the forum informed.

Leslie

• 2 months later...
Yes im with Nelson on this one Michael I wish you a speedy recovery and pray for you to full health and strength...... Colin..

New Prototype Spoil_wagon_007.jpg

Thanks to those of you who remembered Michael in your prayers. I'm glad to say he's getting there sufficiently to send me these photos of the new prototype today. If you compare this with the original at the beginning of this thread, you'll see that the hopper has grown somewhat, in line with the original (thanks Robert Drysdale in Norway, who pointed this out!!).

I hope to see the actual kits by the end of August - Michael is writing the instructions, as I type this!

Regards

Leslie

New prototype Spoil_wagon_006.jpg

• 1 month later...

Calling any 21mm men interested in the PW Spoil Wagon.

Gents (ladies?)

I have a customer who wants this wagon in 21mm, which is not as easy with some of my wagons - see Michael Rayner's comments below.

I really need to know about how many of you would plan to buy some of my spoil kits, but for use on proper Irish gauge - ie 21mm - then I can decide whether to absorb the extra cost, or whether it must be passed on to 21mm folk. The existing client only needs about ten - are there others among you?

e-mail me on

lesliemcallister@aol.com

if you are interested.

The "00" kits will be with me next week and will retail at £24 for single wagons - if you want a rake, I'll reduce that as I save on postage - likewise if you want to supply your own whells .......

Thanks

Leslie

Michael's reply to Robert follows -

"Robert - Leslie has asked me to reply to you direct about the 21mm chassis for the spoil wagon.

All of the wagons that I have made for Leslie, I have made to scale and the only compromise for 00 has been in the chassis casting, which is a separate casting that inserts in between the sole bars and head stocks, this means that fitting fresh axle boxes to the kit's sole bars should bring them pretty well to 21mm gauge.

To master the chassis I normally utilise an existing commercial 00 chassis and chop it around to get the wheelbase et. al. The problem with this kit is that the chassis is an integral part of the model and your proposal to split and widen the chassis would not work.

But all is not lost! On this chassis to gain the alignment of the brake gear, the manufacturers have increased the spacing of the axle boxes and added extra to the inside of them for the use of the short 16.5mm axes, this means that 18.5mm gauge should be accommodated quite easily and I think that with a bit of persuasion I could get 21mm.

Obviously it would be easier for me to master a fresh chassis to use the 21mm wheel sets and get it right and cast them, than you try and alter each individually, that is unless you only want one or two.

I would have to charge Leslie for this task as not only would the mastering need to be covered but a fresh mould would be required but the cost would not be large as the new casting would replace the original supplied.

If you could give us some idea as to the quantity that you would want and, if possible, if any other 21mm gaugers would also be interested it would be of a great help, not only for this kit but also for the next planned - the Bulleid corrugated open which perhaps should be called a 'poubelle' wagon(?) One further point, if I am doing this I should also be able to accommodate your preferred couplings at the same time.

I hope that this has been of some help and I have also sent a copy of this email to Leslie.

Best wishes Michael Rayner"

So, it's up to you guys!

Leslie

• 3 weeks later...

Folks

I'm pleased to say that the first couple of dozen kits landed here today. Colm Flanagan already has ten and is feverishly building, for Cultra!

So, available for pretty well immediate delivery is this kit for a spoil wagon, including all required parts and a generous mini-sheet of waterslide transfers, allowing you to build different number wagons.

£24.50 for a single kit, £117 for a pack of FIVE. Both post free.

{ictures and a little more info on my website

provincialwagons.com

Thanks

Leslie

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

Just to say, these are a very good value for money kit which will make up into a unique type of UTA wagon.

Just beware, some of the Dapol coupling hooks seem to fall off easily, I did a wee mod on the hooks, just a tiny piece of thin black plastic card across the slot in which the hook rests, it seems to stop them doing this - well, so far anyway! Or you can order the kit without couplings and wheels for you Kadee & finescale types (hope I am right about that Leslie!)

The NCC group hope to have a train of them on "Bleach Green" this 8th November at the Cultra Model Railway day.

Colm

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nelson

Thanks for the sales pitch for the Spoil kit. I'll slip you a fiver when I next see you!

It must be reasonably easy to put together, as rakes of them seem to be popping up everywhere!

I have good stocks of the kit, if any other UTA period enthusiasts fancy a rake, or a few to use as pw wagons in NIR '70s.

Leslie