CIE Palvan

Rate this question

StevieB

Question

The final development of the 4w van was the Palvan, which looked very similar to the BR van of the same name. Now my question for the experts out there is did they mounted on a 10' wheelbase, as the H van, or were they mounted on the 12' wheelbase being introduced at the time? The recently introduced IFM model uses the latter but, compared with photos of the prototype, they look stretched!

Many thanks.

Stephen

Thanks for the comments Glenderg and Mike84c. As regards brown and grey Jhb171Achill is 100% correct as the 1970's came to a close you would see less and less of the grey wagons they were would only have been repainted if they went for general repair . The wagons that remained in grey probably received running repairs at some of the smaller depots. One point to clarify when Jhb171achill say s "fitted" it means that the wagons were not fitted with vacuum brakes but were through piped this was basically a 2" pipe 16' long attached to the underframe as far as I'm aware. I can't ever remember seeing any with vacuum hose .

Correct, flange, I should have clarified that.

Few H vans had vacuum bags - I think is as one on a single occasion, though (a) I could be wrong, and (b) it might have been a one-off for some specific purpose.

For a modeller, all grey is the rule prior to 1970, bubbles included. There were extremely few exceptions, though one which springs to mind was the short lived red on Ranks grain wagons, which were hardly commonplace! Post 1970, brown graduates from start to about 60% (maybe 70%?) of working stock by 1976. From then on, it's virtually all bulk containers, bogie fert etc. All brown.

. All brown

It was an " inspiring " freight livery. :D I well remember seeing the bogie liner flats at bell ferries in Waterford and simply thinking it's just " rust " whereas in fact it was a cie " cunning plan "

The fully fitted being true piped is need to me. I always thought that " fitted " meant vacuum clyinder as distinct to " through piped". Is this an Irish-Ism thing or is that uk practice as well

Edited by Junctionmad

The were UK equivalents too, junctionmad.

With the all brown, and I suppose a nod to preservationists if and when preserved examples become due for repaint; correct versions have brown chassis and brown roofs as well, just as grey wagons had grey roof and chassis as well.

Like CIE steam engines, it was "sheep dip" procedure!

31 minutes ago, Mr Bob said:

Were there doors on both sides of the vans and if so, were they opposite each other or offset, with one at each end ? thanks.

Whichever way you turn the wagon, the side profile is the same, if that makes sense. That way you can load the front of the wagon from Door A, the rear of the wagon from Door B. R

Actually, I've just read through the thread again, and had a good look at the photos once more. It's a Railway Clearing House (1923) 10' wheelbase chassis, with the Morton Independent Brake arrangement, but then on top of it, there's a (modified) Bullied triangulated underframe on top, with a cab on top of odds and sods but wider than the BR version, as it overhangs the solebar and makes the most of the irish loading gauge. What a mad, wonderful thing....

Edited by Glenderg
discoveries, of sorts...
  • Informative 1

12 minutes ago, Glenderg said:

Whichever way you turn the wagon, the side profile is the same, if that makes sense. That way you can load the front of the wagon from Door A, the rear of the wagon from Door B. R

Actually, I've just read through the thread again, and had a good look at the photos once more. It's a Railway Clearing House (1923) 10' wheelbase chassis, with the Morton Independent Brake arrangement, but then on top of it, there's a (modified) Bullied triangulated underframe on top, with a cab on top of odds and sods but wider than the BR version, as it overhangs the solebar and makes the most of the irish loading gauge. What a mad, wonderful thing....

Perfect, thank you for your prompt reply 👍

• Like 2

On 5/30/2019 at 4:52 PM, Glenderg said:

Such an oddity so different from the standard BR version in all these respects would surely be an essential component for anyone modeling 60s and 70s era especially if there an array of appropriate traction about to be released ....😁