Finnie's Layout

Rate this topic

Finnie

Hi all

been modelling years, new here, though I know some of you from photographing the scale of 1:1. I will be partaking more in the future, just thought I'd post a (pretty poor quality in fairness) clip of my intermodal

Cheers all

Finnie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Thanks for the reaction to my last post! As there seems to be an interest I'll update this thread with my layout as and when I get to it.

In (very) brief:

The layout runs throughout the upper floor of our house, a dormer bungalow. We built new a few years ago and I was lucky enough to persuade my good lady wife it would be something nice :-) It utilises the "dead space" of dormer construction - that small triangular space under the eves. It has advantages and disadvantages - easy to run scale length trains but v difficult to accurately model as I'm leaning in to a difficult space all the time! It runs behind the bathroom and en-suites, appearing again in the various rooms. There is only one lifting section - a bridge allowing access to a balcony:

The deck is 6mm ply, meaning it is a true suspension bridge, requiring proper tension on the wire cables to enable trains to run.

For now I'll finish off with one other link (poor quality, apologies): 071 herself on Sperry duties. My "Sperry" consists of 2 cars from Lux-Modellbau, a rotary cleaner with a magnet underneath (surprising how much that picks up!) and a vacuum car. They have an automatic Stop/Start mechanism and only turn on when they move. They are of necessity a bit over scale so loading gauge is critical! They work very well though.

More updates will follow - but layout building tends to be a winter occupation so may be a little while.

Cheers all and v glad to be a part of this community

Finnie

ps If anyone likes modelling on a scale of 1:1 I do a lot of railway photography, both here and in Europe but as this is not the place I'll only post the link if asked.