Anyone tried one of these in an A?

Rate this question

BosKonay

19 answers to this question

approx. 98 euros with possible import charges on it? think i'll stick with chips from this side of the pond.

Also available from Digitrains in the UK - http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/827109-tsu-1000-sond-decoder-for-emd-645-non-turbo-diesels.aspx

The engine sound will be great, the Tsunami's are probably the best sounding decoders available, but you might find it hard to get the horn sound right. Tsunami's come preloaded with a selection of US horn sounds but none of them are really protoypical for Irish locos.

Also available from Digitrains in the UK - http://www.digitrains.co.uk/ecommerce/search/827109-tsu-1000-sond-decoder-for-emd-645-non-turbo-diesels.aspx

The engine sound will be great, the Tsunami's are probably the best sounding decoders available, but you might find it hard to get the horn sound right. Tsunami's come preloaded with a selection of US horn sounds but none of them are really protoypical for Irish locos.

They also cannot be reprogrammed with another engine sound unlike ESU/Zimo.

Seems to be a lot of money for an 'ish' engine sound, and probably totally wrong horn. A couple of years ago, I purchased a Loksound Select sound decoder on ebay from a shop in Atlanta. They offered to program it with any loco sound from the Loksound library. At that time no one was doing Irish sounds, so I went for an EMD GP39, which the library said was the same sound as an 071. Other sounds suitable for Irish locos are in the library, see link below. The Loksound Select decoder comes with a choice of horn sounds, all American, but at least one is similar to an Irish horn. The Select decoder is the same technology as the V4 decoder, except that the actual sounds are not editable, or replaceable. Function mapping is exactly the same as the V4.

The up side of all this is the price. At the time I paid £55, including shipping from the USA, just slightly more than half of what I would have paid in the UK for a V3.5.

http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/sounds/

Seems to be a lot of money for an 'ish' engine sound, and probably totally wrong horn. A couple of years ago, I purchased a Loksound Select sound decoder on ebay from a shop in Atlanta. They offered to program it with any loco sound from the Loksound library. At that time no one was doing Irish sounds, so I went for an EMD GP39, which the library said was the same sound as an 071. Other sounds suitable for Irish locos are in the library, see link below. The Loksound Select decoder comes with a choice of horn sounds, all American, but at least one is similar to an Irish horn. The Select decoder is the same technology as the V4 decoder, except that the actual sounds are not editable, or replaceable. Function mapping is exactly the same as the V4.

The up side of all this is the price. At the time I paid £55, including shipping from the USA, just slightly more than half of what I would have paid in the UK for a V3.5.

I recently splashed out on a Lokprogrammer myself and ESU have several engine sounds which are suitable for Irish diesels in the library of US sounds. I've programmed 3 V4 Loksounds for my Irish locos already. The Lokprogrammer also allows you to programme Loksound Selects with these files.

It would be nailed on soundwise for an EMD 645 non turbo motor, I have one in a switcher and it sounds fabulous. However as you state the horn would be off and I always thought that A's sounded slightly different to other 645 non turbos due to the different silencing (or lack of!) arrangements and a different generator than normal EMD locos.

I recently splashed out on a Lokprogrammer myself and ESU have several engine sounds which are suitable for Irish diesels in the library of US sounds. I've programmed 3 V4 Loksounds for my Irish locos already. The Lokprogrammer also allows you to programme Loksound Selects with these files.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to program a Select decoder with anything other than a sound program produced specifically for it.

It would be nailed on soundwise for an EMD 645 non turbo motor, I have one in a switcher and it sounds fabulous. However as you state the horn would be off and I always thought that A's sounded slightly different to other 645 non turbos due to the different silencing (or lack of!) arrangements and a different generator than normal EMD locos.

And I thought it was just me! I always thought the A's sounded more Sulzer-ish myself.... They just did'nt have that whine when notching up.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to program a Select decoder with anything other than a sound program produced specifically for it.

Yes, they have the equivalent Select versions for each of the sound files. But I don't think you can alter specific sounds like horns or engine sounds with the Select versions.

Yes, they have the equivalent Select versions for each of the sound files. But I don't think you can alter specific sounds like horns or engine sounds with the Select versions.

I agree they do have a number of Select versions for some of the V4 sound files, but not all of them, and not including the 071 and 201 sound files.

And I thought it was just me! I always thought the A's sounded more Sulzer-ish myself.... They just did'nt have that whine when notching up.

Me too. A class never sounded as stirring nor impressive as the GM locos even though they ended up with with retro fitted GM diesels. Don't know if it was the different silencing arrangement or the different gen set that made the A class sound so different to 141/181 locos. If I had an A class model I don't think I would bother putting a sound chip on it for that reason, as well as the poor running old style chassis available for A's.

Me too. A class never sounded as stirring nor impressive as the GM locos even though they ended up with with retro fitted GM diesels. Don't know if it was the different silencing arrangement or the different gen set that made the A class sound so different to 141/181 locos. If I had an A class model I don't think I would bother putting a sound chip on it for that reason, as well as the poor running old style chassis available for A's.

When I eventually get round to getting an A class kit I'll probably try and find an engine sound that resembles it on the ESU website. There would have to be something that would be close!

all up to Downpatrick so and you can hear A39's engine to your hearts delight!

Great to have her there Shem, though to hear her stretch her legs on the Dublin - Cork line again would be something else. Maybe one day in the distant future! Mind you if I had my way I'd be digging Maedb out of Cultra too! :D