Scrapping of 4-wheeled wagons

Rate this question

dave182

Question

10 answers to this question

Just wondering what 4-wheeled/ 2-axle wagons are left on the network at this stage?? With all the limelight been taken by the mk3s going this summer, I'm wondering what else IE have cut up? Are any cement bubbles left for example?

There's one cement bubble left in Limerick... the rest were cut up before the Mk3s were touched.

There are oil wagons, plough vans, a brake van, several ballast hoppers and some of the four wheel flats left. One is in York road for the DDs, one is in Connolly for the DDs, one is in Inchicore for MK4s and there's at least one in Cork yard somewhere derailed. There was a wagon in Cork up until recently enough that was painted green that had a little winch on it and a 10' container that was to be used in the event of an accident with the Ammonia trains. I've looked around Limerick for the last bubble and unless it's in a shed, it's either moved somewhere else or scrapped.

More per way "clickbaiting" dave!.... Your most cryptic one yet Glenderg, not quite following!?!

Yeah I'm amazed at how little is left, and following up on the 4-wheeled cement bubbles, the latest sweep of google satellites over Platin Cement works shows many of the sidings removed, so looks fairly unlikely that cement will ever be carried on IE rails any time soon.

JHB's comments on the pallet ferts raises another question. I know the Ammonia Tanks were leased from a French company. When IFI closed what happened to these wagons? Were they scrapped here in Ireland or did they get a new lease of life somewhere else?

More per way "clickbaiting" dave!.... Your most cryptic one yet Glenderg, not quite following!?!

Yeah I'm amazed at how little is left, and following up on the 4-wheeled cement bubbles, the latest sweep of google satellites over Platin Cement works shows many of the sidings removed, so looks fairly unlikely that cement will ever be carried on IE rails any time soon.

JHB's comments on the pallet ferts raises another question. I know the Ammonia Tanks were leased from a French company. When IFI closed what happened to these wagons? Were they scrapped here in Ireland or did they get a new lease of life somewhere else?

As far as I recall the Ammonia tank wagon chassis were on lease the tank barrels owned by IFI (ICI). Like the ESSO tank wagons the Ammonia tank wagons were scrapped converting a small batch of low-capacity wagons to run in Europe or the UK would have been uneconomic.

The obsolete nature and high average age was probably the most noticeable nature of the IE wagon fleet, the cement bubbles and tank wagons lasting the best part of 50 years in service, in contrast the GSR inherited a more modern wagon fleet from the pre-amalgamation companies, the CIE built H vans barely lasted 25 years.