My imagination - MM 141/181 smoothest running MM chassis?

Rate this topic

Noel

Is it just my imagination or do MM 141/181 have the smoothest and quietest running chassis used on MM diesels, with the best crawl speed performance?

I've now had a lot of time to run 141/181, 071 and 201 class Murphy model locos. All superb models and excellent runners, but the little 141/181 do seem to have a significantly better quality chassis with smoother quieter running, and unbelievable crawl performance, including over insulfrog points. They just never stall. I've experimented with DC, and DCC using a variety of decoders from Lenz, Bachmann, ESU and Zimo. Am I correct in the assumption that 141/181s have Bachmann chassis but 071 and 201 chassis are made by another manufacturer/sub-contractor for MM?

The 071s were also made by Kader so the same people who made the 141.

Sorry Fran, I'm confused. Were Kader the sub-contractor for Bachmann when the 141 was manufactured, but subsequently the manufacturer contracted directly by MM for the 071? Also, who manufactured the 201s? Thanks. Noel

PS: If it was the same source sub-contractor, I wonder what the difference was in the motor/drive.

Sorry Fran, I'm confused. Were Kader the sub-contractor for Bachmann when the 141 was manufactured, but subsequently the manufacturer contracted directly by MM for the 071? Also, who manufactured the 201s? Thanks. Noel

PS: If it was the same source sub-contractor, I wonder what the difference was in the motor/drive.

Kader industires own Bachmann as well as some other brands. The 141 was commissioned by PM for Bachmann to produce. The 071 was subsequently commissioned by PM for Kader to make directly. All Bachmann stock is made by Kader it's just PM developed closer relations with the parent company by the time the 071 was being made.

Kader industires own Bachmann as well as some other brands. The 141 was commissioned by PM for Bachmann to produce. The 071 was subsequently commissioned by PM for Kader to make directly. All Bachmann stock is made by Kader it's just PM developed closer relations with the parent company by the time the 071 was being made.

Comprende. Many thanks for explaining that.

Is it just my imagination or do MM 141/181 have the smoothest and quietest running chassis used on MM diesels, with the best crawl speed performance?

I've now had a lot of time to run 141/181, 071 and 201 class Murphy model locos. All superb models and excellent runners, but the little 141/181 do seem to have a significantly better quality chassis with smoother quieter running, and unbelievable crawl performance, including over insulfrog points. They just never stall. I've experimented with DC, and DCC using a variety of decoders from Lenz, Bachmann, ESU and Zimo. Am I correct in the assumption that 141/181s have Bachmann chassis but 071 and 201 chassis are made by another manufacturer/sub-contractor for MM?

It may also be the case that Bo-Bo (4X4) bogies are inherently more suited to model running compared to Co-Cos (6X6) in OO?

It may also be the case that Bo-Bo (4X4) bogies are inherently more suited to model running compared to Co-Cos (6X6) in OO?

In my experience with Kato & Atlas diesels a 4 axle loco has better traction than a 6 axle loco

Unless there is some form of springing or damping a 6 wheel bogies or steam loco chassis will tend to pivot around the centre axle and loose traction/power pick up. On the other hand the MM141s may simply run smoother because they are older and more-run in than the 201s & 071s

• 1 month later...
I absolutely love the 141 and 181 s . Once I bought one I could not believe how well they run. It was because of these that i started with model railways again.

Ditto - me too.

A 182 discovered on sale in the Fry Museum about 2008 or 2009 when I'd been out of the hobby for 13 years. I just had to buy it on the spot as I had never seen a quality Irish GM loco before. Didn't run it until 2014 but was wow'ed and gobsmacked by its precision running quality and appearance. I remember wondering where and how did this product happen. In quality terms both running and appearance, it surpasses the later 071 and especially the 201s. Baby GMs fit and look well on model layout radius curves and are stunning double headed.

Have to agree these 141/181 models are superb runners, I have a small dc line on the layout and the track is often more grubby than it should be and I'm still amazed and the slow running characteristics. They are a superb model and if I had the funds I could never have enough of them, even to leave one on a short straight in a glass-case you can sit back and admire it.