HO vs OO conversion

Rate this question

burnthebox

Question

Hi to all those of you out there who know about these things, I'm asking about HO & OO , by that I mean HO can run on OO track, & vise versa right ! But do's that mean the HO is of a different electrical voltage than OO & if not can a HO gauge be converted, if that's the right word into an OO gauge, I know the scale is different, eg 1.76 = OO gauge where's 1.87= HO, so is it possible, & would the difference be so noticeable, up close & personal like,

16 answers to this question

Thanks Brothe for that, now maybe I didn't explain my question correctly, for example if you see a HO loco that you would love to have in OO, lets say an A Class, in HO gauge, what exactly would have to be done, of possible, to obtain this, is it to do with the electrics, or is it more complicated than that,i know the size differs from HO to OO as I believe HO s smaller !

Not sure what you're getting at exactly, as your request above is a bit confusing. However, both HO and OO use the same track, so in that sense they are interchangeable. The difference is that HO = 3.5mm/ft whereas OO = 4mm/ft, so the track is spot on for 4ft 8.5in gauge in HO but slightly underscale for OO.

Both use 12v DC voltage, so they are fully compatible in that sense, too.

Thanks guys for that, that's cleared that up, now if you don't mind telling me is it a big deal to change the couplings, ( bogies ) from the HO to OO

The coupling height on HO stock is lower, so a little bit of handiwork can be required to get them to work together. However, this has the potential to ruin the look of the model in some cases.

If you're going to run american models, I wouldn't recommend trying to fit OO tension lock couplings. The HO body mounted knuckle couplers are able to pivot, and this allows them to run around corners. Fitting a tension lock would probably derail trailing stock

If you're going to run american models, I wouldn't recommend trying to fit OO tension lock couplings. The HO body mounted knuckle couplers are able to pivot, and this allows them to run around corners. Fitting a tension lock would probably derail trailing stock

Thanks UP6936 but I was actually thinking / wondering about Irish loco's that have HO bogies

Burn - 00 and H0 are simply two different scales of vehicle that work on the same track. All irish locos are scaled to 00. If you wanted a murphy model 141 in H0, you'd have to lash it into your "honey I shrunk da kids" 2000 machine, and shrink everything bar the axles by about 14% and you'd have a H0 one.

Have you come upon a secret society or such where there's sudden demand?

Ah - I see what you're at - cut off the european thing - glue an NEM pocket on somewhere at a matching height to your locos' pocket - stick in a tension lock coupler. Job's Oxo.

Edited by Glenderg
not sure meself to be honest

Burn - 00 and H0 are simply two different scales of vehicle that work on the same track. All irish locos are scaled to 00. If you wanted a murphy model 141 in H0, you'd have to lash it into your "honey I shrunk da kids" 2000 machine, and shrink everything bar the axles by about 14% and you'd have a H0 one.

Have you come upon a secret society or such where there's sudden demand?

No secret sociiety involved on this, you may remember I had a OO gauge A Class fitted with HO couplings & I was just wondering if it is possible to change the bogies / couplings without too much trouble,

Do note that HO is 1:87 and 00 1:72. The difference may seem small, but is very noticeable. For my preferred 7mm scale, when you put a Corgi Classic bus [1:50] against a true scale 1:43 model, it shows just how much small the former is.

By the by, there was also Trix Twin, which was around 3.7mm/ft, while Gauge One is still and odd amalgam where anything goes in some cases - from 10mm/ft to 1:29.5 and all things between

Do note that HO is 1:87 and 00 1:72. The difference may seem small, but is very noticeable. For my preferred 7mm scale, when you put a Corgi Classic bus [1:50] against a true scale 1:43 model, it shows just how much small the former is.

By the by, there was also Trix Twin, which was around 3.7mm/ft, while Gauge One is still and odd amalgam where anything goes in some cases - from 10mm/ft to 1:29.5 and all things between

00 is 1/76.....

..1/76.2, if I'm to be really picky..