Matchbox Irish Toy Loco

Rate this topic

roxyguy

I remember when I was a child Kelloggs doing a promotion on the back of cereal boxes. Collect and send away for this toy loco - there was also a carriage. Anyway I recently found 2 of these from my childhood I had forgotten about. Does anybody else remember? there was an illustration/painting of an Irish loco at a station on the back of the cereal box I think. Would love to see that old box for nostalgia sake . . . .$_57.JPG

There was rudimentary track system to go with those, not offered on cornflakes packet afaik.

https://img0.etsystatic.com/022/0/6454105/il_570xN.478011210_70ga.jpg

Also a GWR Pannier tank, diesel shunter and seem to remember a Wild West (-ish) loco.

EDIT: the wild west loco was a Corgi item.

http://globaldiecastdirect.com/20085-thickbox_default/corgi-juniors-wild-west-show-steam-locomotive.jpg

Edited by minister_for_hardship

Ah, I remember them well. I had the one in the first post, well two actually and a red one. Also had a nice collection of 11 coaches for them but red metal bodies and a different style plastic roof to the one Dave posted. That was until our pet dog at the time took a fancy to them one day and she chewed the roof off 7 of the coaches and scratched the paint on the locos. As a wee young fella I was reduced to tears at the time.

Looking at my own ones, the Snail is a lot smaller

Bottom of loco says

No 43, 1970 Lesney Products & Co.Ltd

Coach says

No 44, 1978 Lesney Prod & Co Ltd

P1070386_zps4a84d98a.jpg

Hi Wrenneire, don't take any offence, but they look like repaints with silver fox transfers. That would explain the size of the snail.

Hi

Yes, I have one of those green engines also- still have the box to!

Broithe

I also had some of that Lone Star set! your photo brought back memories- I swooped it for a Class 08 diesel which was painted orange and CIE'd, I think I was around 9 or 10 years then!

Eoin

Broithe

I also had some of that Lone Star set! your photo brought back memories- I swooped it for a Class 08 diesel which was painted orange and CIE'd, I think I was around 9 or 10 years then!

Eoin

I also had a blue 'Mallard'-style streamliner - but I was more a fan of the Lone Star spud gun.

150530935032.jpg

It was much more effective if you used something with more 'substance' than a potato, like a turnip, for instance...