80 class donors

Rate this question

Liverbird81

Question

21 answers to this question

Thanks guys my only problem with info is that on some 80class had a door in the middle of coach

Most, but not all, driving trailers and intermediate coaches had a door in the middle, but the vehicles are of Mk2b design. The centre door feature was exclusive to NIR, to expedite speedier loading and unloading on suburban services.

Not necessarily, you could always model the vehicles that do not have the door. One or two ex Enterprise coaches were used to replace bomb damaged intermediate vehicles. There were also oddball driving trailers to be found. I remember seeing an ex Enterprise driving trailer complete with guards compartment, and there were one or two driving trailers without the centre door.

Some pictures of oddballs. The first two are not very good quality I am afraid.

Driving trailer, probably the same one as picture 2. Not sure what the rest of the vehicle looks like.

26..JPG

Ex Enterprise driving trailer, no centre door, centre car no centre door.

48..JPG

Driving trailer and centre car with no centre doors.

DSCF4486__Medium_r.jpg

Edited by Dhu Varren

A little research has revealed that only one Enterprise driving trailer was converted for use as an 80 Class driving trailer, this being 754 (formerly 811).

Pictures 1 & 2 are therefore of the same vehicle. Picture 3, however, raised another question. Why is the roof detail consistent with a brake vehicle, when driving trailers without a centre door 752 & 753 were converted from ex BR 2nd class open coaches? The answer, picture 3 is only the same vehicle as in pictures 1 & 2, it has had the guard’s compartment converted to passenger accommodation, thus now seating 75 instead of the original 31.

Despite seeing these things and travelling in them almost daily, while I knew there were variations, especially after ex-Enterprise stock was added, I never knew there was so much!

Liveries could throw up interesting combinations too, such as power car 69 just back from IE in grey and maroon, with a red and cream driving trailer and a blue and grey "intercity" intermediate.