Use of sanding on irish railways

Rate this question

Junctionmad

Question

13 answers to this question

Always perplexed me why cie/ir/ie. Forbid the use of sanding , it must have been widespread on steam locos in Ireland and it has remained in use in the US and elsewhere. Anyone shed any light on the purpose of the decision not to use sanding apparatus

Apparently the sand causes increased erosion on the rails although you would think restricting its use to times of 'fallen leaves' would make sense.

I'm not sure if the current Luas trams use sanding but the new LCC Broombridge depot will contain a sanding facility for the trams.

Railway tend to use electronic traction systems on locomotives or sandite paste on the rail to control wheel slip.

Pair of GE U Boats trying to re-start a stalled 2000t coal train on a grade with the Brightstar wheel slip control system.

Reliability and sand an excellent abrasive getting into the wrong places and causing damage increased wear and tear may have been CIE objections to using sanding on locos. Sandite where sand is applied to the rail as a paste appears to be the preferred option for dealing with leaf fall and ice in Ireland and the UK.

At one time CIE would run a loco and brake van through the Cork Tunnel to sand the rails for heavy North bound goods trains.

Given I beleive sanding and loco based sandboxes is still used in the UK. It's funny that irish railways practice differs. I'm always surprised at how NIH ( not invented here ) is very prevelant on irish railways.

Maybe there's more of a problem on the "Mainland", with some lines at quite an altitude ( over 1,000' in places ) and lines way up North into Scotland?

Given I beleive sanding and loco based sandboxes is still used in the UK. It's funny that irish railways practice differs. I'm always surprised at how NIH ( not invented here ) is very prevelant on irish railways.

I am not sure if its simply a case of NIH there appear to have been objections/restriction to sanding in the UK on account of damage to switch and crossing work and trains disappearing off track circuits.

UK freight train tonnages are far heavier than Ireland Class 59 & 66 diesels use traction control systems rather than sanding to control heavy trains.

The 071s have a reputation of being slippy but capable of putting up high milage between repairs on relatively heavy trains. Re-gearing to reduce top speed and a traction control system would allow the 071s to haul increased tonnage and longer trains.

Sandite appears to be the preferred current day option for dealing with poor rail conditions in both the UK & Ireland

Sanding the Highland Main line with a converted golf buggy 09:11

I believe sanders operating in conjunction with emergency braking is fitted on current IE and NIR railcars and electric units.

The A class was fitted with sanding originally, but the equipment was generally removed within a couple of years, if gauged by photos. To judge by some of Dan Renehan's writings, CIE management were dubious of the benefits of sanding on diesels, a view not necessarily shared by drivers.

Maybe there's more of a problem on the "Mainland", with some lines at quite an altitude . . .

I didn't realise so many German and French railways were at altitude. :) I've travelled quite a bit on Swiss alpine railways which are obviously well above sea level.

I am not sure if its simply a case of NIH there appear to have been objections/restriction to sanding in the UK on account of damage to switch and crossing work and trains disappearing off track circuits.

UK freight train tonnages are far heavier than Ireland Class 59 & 66 diesels use traction control systems rather than sanding to control heavy trains.

The 071s have a reputation of being slippy but capable of putting up high milage between repairs on relatively heavy trains. Re-gearing to reduce top speed and a traction control system would allow the 071s to haul increased tonnage and longer trains.

Sandite appears to be the preferred current day option for dealing with poor rail conditions in both the UK & Ireland

Sanding the Highland Main line with a converted golf buggy 09:11

hmm. I know track circuits and leaves are a big issue. But track circuits have been around a long time, well into steam sanding era.

perhaps , its as you said the freight tonnage was just small beer. But you would have thought that the beet trains would have been ideal candidates

I know about the use of Sandite, But the use of sandboxes on UK diesels does seem reasonably common