JM Design Tin Vans

Rate this topic

Mayner

Trying to gauge if there I sufficient interest to release a second run of Tin Vans.

The Heating and Luggage (tin van) and Luggage (hooded vans) are out of stock a small number of TPO/Heuston Vans are in stock at $106 + $20 shipping ($NZ) approx. ₤55 Stg+₤10 shipping.

DSCF2226.JPG

DSCF2229.JPG

4w Post Office Van

The original Tin Van kit was based on the early version of the van as introduced in 1955, if there is sufficient interest it may be feasible to supply the kit with later variations of the van including recessed doors or blanked out windows.

Side and roof.jpg

DSCF1648.JPG

Tin Vans

Luggage.jpg

DSCF1639.JPG

Luggage Vans

• 2 months later...

The silver "livery" (ie actually not a livery at all - no paint anywhere!) was a fascinating but totally impractical way to turn things out.

Ends and chassis, drawgear and brake gear, all got so filthy it was impossible to tell they weren't painted a muddy brown. As for roofs - bad enough on tin vans or carriages, but worse again on diesel locomotives - they were covered in smoky deposits, thus largely obscuring the "silver" on the roofs!

Incidentally, as a point of historical accuracy, it's important to remember that "silver livery" doesn't mean they were painted silver. They were just left in bare metal, unpainted entirely!

So nobody need worry about lining styles, paint shades, parts picked out in other colours and so on....

A strange one, all right!

Its possible that CIE may have been trying to copy the look of an American streamliner and break away from the traditional railway greens and lakes with the 'silver" finish.

Its likely the locos and coaches were finished with a clear laquer or varnish to seal the surface and provide some damage/scratch resistance, but was totally unsuitable for the harsh railway environment, both unpainted aluminium and stainless steel will eventually turn black given the right conditions

I use Tayima AS 12 Bare-metal Silver aerosol for the vans with a clear sealer, with suitable red decals by SSM.

I have tried various aluminium and silver finishes and found the AS 12 most suitable with good scratch resistance before sealing.

The Laminates & 4w vans seem to be the only coaches introduced in unpainted aluminium, the Park Royals seem to have been introduced in green with silver bogies.

Mayner & Minister; correct on all counts.

I have a picture somewhere of the stainless steel "demonstrator", including interior; must try to find it (now there's a challenge).

Before discovering this picture on, actually, a CIE publicity leaflet, I'd never even heard of it. It can't have been in Ireland long.

The tin vans and SOME (by no news all) laminates were indeed the only stuff to into traffic unpainted, unless you count the bodies, and done chassis, of the corrugated Bullied open wagons.

Plus, of course, the A, C and G601 class locomotives.

Park Royals were all introduced in green, with silver bogies. Without checking, I can't remember if the roofs were originally silver, but the silver bogies soon were repainted black.

On account of the ribs on the sides, Park Royals never carried the "flying snail".

"I have a picture somewhere of the stainless steel "de"monstrator", including interior; must try to find it (now there's a challenge).

The tin vans and SOME (by no news all) laminates were indeed the only stuff to into traffic unpainted, unless you count the bodies, and done chassis, of the corrugated Bullied open wagons.

Plus, of course, the A, C and G601 class locomotives".

My dear John, your every wish - actually isn't this a laminate?

Photo 44.jpg

and a tin van

Photo 49.jpg

From the Ron Pocklington Collection, now owned by the IRRS, who I'm sure will forgive me using them, as I donated the collection! Ron was the "real" designer of the Turf Burner.

Yes, yes, I know, I have to photograph my Mayner Van and put it up - tomorrow, tomorrow!!!!

Leslie

"I have a picture somewhere of the stainless steel "de"monstrator", including interior; must try to find it (now there's a challenge).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19558[/ATTACH]

and a tin van

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19559[/ATTACH]

From the Ron Pocklington Collection, now owned by the IRRS, who I'm sure will forgive me using them, as I donated the collection! Ron was the "real" designer of the Turf Burner.

Leslie

That Laminate really looks striking.

An untarnished A Class and a solid rake of Laminates would have looked clean streamlined and modern compared to the existing stock. CIEs brave but unsuccessful attempt at a 1950s streamliner http://streamlinermemories.info/?p=946.

Just might have worked had access to 2 pack paint technology.

Information copied from Model Rail Forum - Richard Johnson.

"December 2007 'Backtrack' has a two-page article on the 'Silver Princess' including the photo of it still with its original body

panelling and doors, in crimson and cream. There are also two interior shots, one showing the bar area fitted after

its rebuild. A further external shot dated 29/6/56 shows the vehicle in maroon, having been repanelled and lost its middle door.

The vehicle was tried between King's Cross and Edinburgh then fitted with 5'3" bogies and tried on Irish

railways for three months in 1948. It was then stored and later purchased by BR in 1955. BR used it as 'The Ulster Bar' on the

Euston-Heysham run. It is suggested that withdrawal took place in June 1966."

There is also a photo of the vehicle in June 1963 Modern Railways, showing it in maroon and minus the middle door.

Edited by Old Blarney