Tmd/ssm mgwr "e" / gsr j26 / cie 551 0-6-0t

Rate this topic

Horsetan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now here's a thing: as can be seen from the photo, the two types of frames are broadly similar in outline, but the coupling rods are not interchangeable between the two.

The nickel silver frames and rods have better detail and a more refined profile, but the trailing section representing the 7' part of the wheelbase is marginally longer than the earlier version in brass!

If you try to use the nickel-silver rods on the brass chassis, the leading and centre drivers will revolve fine, but the trailing drivers will lock up. Not what you want on a sprung or compensated chassis.

In the words of Father Ted when faced with the problem of getting Dougal off the milkfloat at over four miles an hour: "Keep going round the roundabout! I'm going to have a think!"

IMG_20151125_232831_1448494183393.jpg

Edited by Horsetan

Maybe a layout idea thread is in order?

Achill, Athboy, Ballinrobe, Balldaghdreen, Clifden, Courtmacsharry, Edenderry, Fenit, Killeshandra, Loughrea, Shillelagh, Tramore to start with.

Unlikely to have been used on ex-GSWR branch lines with the possible exception of Banagher which became a-defacto branch in GSR days with Mullingar or Athlone supplying the branch loco

Didn't know they got to Clifden of Shillelagh, Mayner!

......adds to their appeal......

As I said, I thought a J26 would be a great one the DCDR had it survived. The GNR No. 93 in Cultra would do just as well, and had "Argadeen" have survived.....

A J26 would be pretty much ideal for the DCDR or short heritage line, it just might be possible to kit-bash an Argadeen from a small Hunslet or Manning Warde 0-6-0 if you can get one, its possible a set of patterns may exist for a scratch build.

The J26 have been described as the Irish equivalent of the Brighton Terrier tank loco, but were closer in size and power output to the LNER J67-69 family of tank locos (GER Buckjumper) and the LNER J72 class.

Some of the GER locos were built to compete with the electric tramways on short distance suburban services out of Liverpool Street including Enfield , they were well suited to suburban work with their small wheels and the entire engine weight available for traction.

The GSR may have been reluctant to try the J26 on suburban trains as both the DSER and GSWR both preferred 2-4-2T and 4-4-2T for passenger work and were unlikely to have considered a small 0-6-0.

Edited by Mayner

True, Mayner, I never heard of a J26 on a suburban train....

Come to think of it Tramore pretty much ticks most of the boxes for suburban rather than branch line or local service.

Heavy traffic, short distance, frequent service, smarty timed trains.

The AEC railcar set supplied did not have the seating capacity to handle the peak traffic carried by the steam hauled stock.

Come to think of it Tramore pretty much ticks most of the boxes for suburban rather than branch line or local service.

Heavy traffic, short distance, frequent service, smarty timed trains.

The AEC railcar set supplied did not have the seating capacity to handle the peak traffic carried by the steam hauled stock.

I think I can see where this is leading..... It's going to have to be 560 with the garden shed cab, no?

Edited by Horsetan

You're heading well down that road, Horsetan!

If it's Tramore you're modelling, so be it.....

The J.P. O'Dea collection at NLI turned up this 1959 view of 560 at Cork:

http://catalogue.nli.ie/Record/vtls000304698

Depicted out of service, with rods removed, and displaying the "garden shed" cab which itself is showing obvious signs of being attacked by the tin worm. Cast numberplates still retained.

....out of the many hundreds (thousands?) of Irish railway photos he took, it looks like only two involve J26s!

• 2 weeks later...

The T&C would be an excellent place for this little locos. Beet in the autumn, and excursion trains in the summer(with a couple of ancient 6 wheelers behind of course!)if you were going with such a layout, no.552 would be a good candidate, as it was a regular performer on the T&C.

I'm coming around to the idea of building the kit as 560, which kept on working after the Tramore line closed. The photo of it on a railtour in Fenit shows that it even kept its plates, which are part of the kit. Might as well use 'em, and the garden shed cab.

Fare enough so, that's your choice, and 560 was a unique one. And the tramore line would make a great layout...

Backgrounds were always grey, Horsetan (not black, as suggested in the "big" GSR book), unless the engine was actually black!

Raised rims were usually picked out in pale yellow, but occasionally polished as currently on 186. I have seen pictures which appear to show this picked out in white, but the subjects of the withdrawn and work-stained, and it's likely that this is just the pale yellow faded.

The GSWR, GSR and CIE never, ever (for the record) picked out lettering / numerals etc out in red. And while I'm on the subject of red, only the UTA painted connecting rods red! And - red again - inner motion of GSR / CIE engines was plain grey, not red as on GNR locos...

• 3 months later...