Das Model: Auferstanden aus Ruinen

Rate this topic

Some months back, I picked up a quite attractive Austrian model of an East German steam superstar: 18.201, created out of bits from three different engines which today is the only preserved steamer passed to exceed 100mph.

Mod edit: the English translation of the title is 'The Model: Risen from the Ruins'.

image.jpg

Edited by Garfield
No translation provided.

By far the most interesting of the surviving ex-East German engines, Roco did a grand job of capturing the looks of 18.201....and the temptation to put it in front of a sample of ex-East German Doppelstock was too great.

Trivia: did you know that 18.201's front headlamps came off a Trabant?:D

IMG_20150917_094221_1442489137875.jpg

IMG_20150728_194703_1438129675633.jpg

IMG_20150728_142206_1438129600628.jpg

Check out this vid from the Netherlands - similar to the German locos, with the wheels painted red & the body in black.

Do you reckon they've got enough motive power on this one? ;-)

Ha... and a diesel at the end in case they ALL fail! :P

Edit: That video reminds me that in Germany and some other central European countries they have 'Plandampf' events, where preserved steam locomotives take charge of regular service trains, including freight...

[video=youtube_share;Xpqkc9uJaSA]

Imagine 461 being set loose on the DFDS liner... :)

The closest we've come to anything like that is when the RPSI's LPHC No. 3 was hired by a contractor to haul ballast trains on NIR metals back in the mid '00s.

Edited by Garfield

Check out this vid from the Netherlands - similar to the German locos, with the wheels painted red & the body in black.

Do you reckon they've got enough motive power on this one? ;-)

In order, DR Br. 50, Br.52, Br.50.35, DB Br.23 (x2!), DRG Br.50, DR Br.52, DB Br.64....and some brown diesel thing.

The "Plandampf" events are quite tightly timed, and it costs a load of money to have engines certified for that type of work.

It couldn't really happen in Britain, as the service timetables are so tight that there's no real room for giving a day to steam-hauled services, and that's before you go into the money and equipment required for mainline certification. Notwork Fail and the regular TOCs probably regard steam specials as a nuisance.

Edited by Horsetan

It couldn't really happen in Britain, as the service timetables are so tight that there's no real room for giving a day to steam-hauled services, and that's before you go into the money and equipment required for mainline certification. Notwork Fail and the regular TOCs probably regard steam specials as a nuisance.

Naturally.

It was Ivan. I think they raised the bar for out door gigs on that tour. It was a multi media show as well as musical. I think Larry Mullen said you can go to a gig and watch tv at the same time, how bad.

I still have the album somewhere. I look back fondly upon those days, those rare oul times before Bono became holier-than-thou.

Can you just imagine the endless list of health and safety vetoes to so, so many aspects of the German "plandampf" if it was staged in Ireland!

I'm not sure we have sufficient working engines to maintain an Irish Plandampf, never mind the H&S :((. You'd need to build a few more WTs, J15s, K1/K1a, B1 and B2, plus V or VS, to run a worthwhile service.

Edited by Horsetan

• 1 year later...

Still scratching the East German itch, a secondhand Roco 01.5 pacific joined the collection a while back, as did a German reference book on the class. Roco turned it out as 01.0525-4, but I have since swapped the cab and numberplates to represent the preserved 01.533 which is the property of the Austrian OGEG (Museum of Railway History).

Roco have a particularly good spares service, and you can order the parts direct from their website - delivery is in the order of 7 to 14 days.

01_5book.jpg

IMG_20160627_094420_1467273885379.jpg