Douglas horse trams to be abandoned

Rate this topic

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-isle-of-man-35384707

Douglas Corporation (Isle of Man) has announced its intention to abandon the seafront horse trams, believed to be the only such tramway surviving (as distinct from tourist revivals). There was a proposal to replace the current double- track tramway in the centre of the promenade road, with a single track on the seaward side, so as to free up much- needed car space, so this announcement comes as a bit of a shock.

That's a real shame. Even a reduced service with one track would have been worth retaining. It can't cost much to run. What, I wonder, will become of the unique collection of trams they have?

For the record, they have a withdrawn motive power depot outside Douglas, where retired tram horses live out their lives. All the horses ever used were 0.4.0s...

IOM is no longer the tourist destination it was, and the numbers of annual visitors has all but collapsed. Low cost airlines have had a negative effect on traditional sea side resorts on these islands, with folk preferring to holiday overseas for less cost with guaranteed good weather. It's a symptom of relative prosperity. But I hope they can find a sustainable way to keep the trams if at all possible.

I've spent a lot of time in IOM and very fond memories of the railway there also.

Edited by Noel

Such a shame. If one can be preserved somewhere, maybe in Port Erin museum, or as an exhibit on a piece of track in Douglas station, it'd be better than nothing. I wonder, actually, how many of those trams there are? In this day and age, I can't imagine them scrapping them - but, at 3ft gauge, there are not too many places that could have a practical use for them. Perhaps the Crich Tram Museum in Derbyshire might take a couple - though - who pays to ship them! (The eternal dampener or "good ideas" in preservation...)

A sign of the times. Along with economic tides rising for most over the past 40 years, westerners have more sophisticated tastes and looking for more from their holiday experiences. Gone are the days when children took pleasure from simple activities like a donkey ride along a beach, building sand castles, climbing trees, etc. Things like LCD'itiss has struck all of us not just youngsters. A ride on a tram or narrow gauge railway sadly doesn't cut it anymore compared to a roller coaster ride, a visit to Alton Towers or Disneyland theme parks, etc. The only constant with time is change.

Very sad news. I wonder if there will be much effort masde to reverse the decision. I first rode on the horse trams back in 1967 but must admit that I have only been there three times since then. I will have to return before the end comes.

The petition can be singned here: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/support-for-the-retention-of-the-douglas-bay-horse-tramway.html

Edited by Tarabuses

Reading all that stuff, the decision to scrap the trams must rank as one of the most inanely short sighted things ever proposed. the 1950s Stormont government would be proud. if it runs on rails, it's the enemy and must be obliterated.

the IOM is a drab. cold, dated, expensive, rainy island. Without the transport heritage and the TT, both of which are in their own ways completely unique attractions, the island would have no visitors at all. There's nothing else to do nowadays. Sit on a rainy beach with a cold deck chair, wind, drizzle and an overpriced bag of chips with sand getting into them? Or a beach bar in the Mediterranean? The IOM councillors need to wake up. This is crass, and completely false economy.

Reading all that stuff, the decision to scrap the trams must rank as one of the most inanely short sighted things ever proposed. the 1950s Stormont government would be proud. if it runs on rails, it's the enemy and must be obliterated.

the IOM is a drab. cold, dated, expensive, rainy island. Without the transport heritage and the TT, both of which are in their own ways completely unique attractions, the island would have no visitors at all. There's nothing else to do nowadays. Sit on a rainy beach with a cold deck chair, wind, drizzle and an overpriced bag of chips with sand getting into them? Or a beach bar in the Mediterranean? The IOM councillors need to wake up. This is crass, and completely false economy.

IOM's primary economy is now financial services, no longer tourism which has evaporated.