4mm Axle width and irish wagons

Rate this topic

Junctionmad

In the middle of a few kit builds and a scratch built wagon, I was just trying to work out what other s do with the compromise between the wider Irish wagon sole bars and 00 gauge wheels. Perhaps the boys at IRM might comment.

Wider prototypical width wagons means the 00 wheels are in even more then normal, brake gear begins to look very odd, but narrower UK 4mm wagons then look wrong

DO people use longer pin point axles to handle the issue etc

thanks everyone

Dave

thanks

Really I was just looking for opinions , the easiest way is to widen the sole bars to the prototype 9' or 9'6" in a few cases and use 28mm axles, and suffer the 00 scale look of the wheels and brake gear being miles underneath !, if I ever get a belt to the head and go 21mm at least the work will have been done

I was specifically wondering how the IRM chaps dealt with 00 gauge and the positioning of the brake gear., as well. I presume the hoppers are wider then UK gauge wagons ?

I know the buffer spacing is wider than the UK spacing, so can't really comment on width, but one assumes so to take advantage of the loading gauge.

How we dealt with the width issue is simple. It is modelled to scale in all respects, leaf springs and W irons all in the right place. The rear face is smooth (for tooling reasons) but where the axel goes is a little collar which protrudes about 1.75mm. (about the same dia as the shank of a cotton bud). This acts as the bearing point for the axle for those using 16.5mm wheels. To use 21mm wheelsets, simply file down the collar and insert wheelsets. No brass top hat bearings or reaming out etc. Well at least that's the theory. R

BallastWheel.jpg

I suppose you could, but if you're going to go to the trouble of making a 21mm model, the prestwin chassis is far from ideal. You would only end up using the two solebars only,stripped of the hanger detail present, needing a new buffer beam, buffers, coupling hook, brake gear, wagon base and so on.

Getting 3.2mm styrene channel and starting from scratch would produce a far more accurate wagon. I'm sure you can get fold up brass w-irons for 21mm, the rest would just be whitemetal detail.

I suppose you could, but if you're going to go to the trouble of making a 21mm model, the prestwin chassis is far from ideal. You would only end up using the two solebars only,stripped of the hanger detail present, needing a new buffer beam, buffers, coupling hook, brake gear, wagon base and so on.

Getting 3.2mm styrene channel and starting from scratch would produce a far more accurate wagon. I'm sure you can get fold up brass w-irons for 21mm, the rest would just be whitemetal detail.

hmmm, true

This arose cause one of the models is SSMs ballast plough , but the prestwin is really a poor fit, aside from the axle boxes everything else is wrong. Does anyone know of the correct pattern whitemetal axle boxes

PS: Richie, would you have an acrylic match for CIEs machinery yellow ?

.... I'm sure you can get fold up brass w-irons for 21mm, the rest would just be whitemetal detail.

Bill Bedford used to produce leaf-sprung W-irons for 21mm, but I think they were lost at the time that his etched parts range was taken over by Eileen's Emporium. Never seen them after that, but there's nothing stopping you adapting the P4 versions.

On a slightly different track, I am starting a new 3' narrow gauge project which will be 21mm gauge in 7mm scale. Branchlines do a nice wagon chassis, but am a little concerned with the idea of 26mm pin point axles as this leaves little meat on the ends for 21mm gauge. Where do you get 28mm axles from please?

Alan Gibson will produce 28mm axles without wheels. However you have to buy the P4, EM or standard wheels on 26mm axles, remove them and fit them to the 28mm axles.

Rich,

Northyard in New Zealand supply 28mm 2.03 dia axles Part No 471 @ $0.90nz & 12mm RE25/110 metal tyred plastic centre disc wheels Part 2197B @$0.95 nz ea

http://www.northyard.co.nz/

The wheels are intended for S gauge very strong and of good quality with a nickel silver tyre on a nylon centre. Tyres are wide for 21mm but a good compromise for OO

Thanks for the help chaps. Being in 7mm scale for the last 20 years, it is easy to miss what is available elsewhere. The Branchlines chassis are compensated, so only need pin point axles at one end, while the coaches have inside bearings. Am thinking the railcar and unit (Clogher Valley) can be done in the same way as my Sligo Railcar B. The 0-4-2T instructions suggest Slaters wheels, so a small stock of 2mm rod seems the likely answer.

Bill Bedford used to produce leaf-sprung W-irons for 21mm, but I think they were lost at the time that his etched parts range was taken over by Eileen's Emporium. Never seen them after that, but there's nothing stopping you adapting the P4 versions.

what could be used is the Bill bedford " internal " wagon compensation unit, it means pulling the wheels off , but thats not the end of the world. This fret has the wheels bearing in side the wheel on the axles, personally I think they should be reamed out to take 2mm bushes