Semaphore signalling super train era

Rate this question

richrua

Question

Hi friends,

Beannachtaí na féile Padraig oraibh go léir!

Quick question! I am sticking in a couple of signals. I am using the lower quadrant (GWR) type from dapol as I am told they resemble Irish signals.

Were small level crossings (single line small road - eg Kinscourt branch) protected with both distant and home signals?

15 answers to this question

thanks folks ! seems my purchase of a working distant is a wee bit overkill so... I hope to grab some SSM signals at some point when i am feeling nifty and nimble and confident to make em. At the mo I am even having bother with basic soldering for some reason!

Richrua,

First Rule of Modelling:- It is your railway.

Second Rule:- Seek advice and guidance.

Third Rule:- Apply the advice as and when you feel it appropriate to your railway.

I use Dapol Lower Quadrant Signals on my home layout. They meet my needs, they go down and they return to danger. They look reasonably realistic, they have working lights and their spectacle glasses are excellent. If you feel the finials are too fancy, remove them. I use both the Distant and Home versions. I have one Distant permanently set at Caution.

The real joy of these signals are:- They have working lights, moving arms and are well built.

I cannot wait for the Junction versions of these signals which, I believe ,they will be available towards the end of 20i6!!!

thanks folks ! seems my purchase of a working distant is a wee bit overkill so... I hope to grab some SSM signals at some point when i am feeling nifty and nimble and confident to make em. At the mo I am even having bother with basic soldering for some reason!

Do, the kits contain waaaay more than a single kit, if you're willing to make some homemade posts. Have a look at Kirley's layout, he's used them to superb effect. and +1 to Old Blarney's post, do as you please, it's your railway.

SSM_Semaphore_Signal_Kit.jpg

The majority of attended CX crossings had working distant signals, often with the gate functioning as home or stop signal.

http://www.raiu.ie/download/pdf/accident_kiltoom.pdf is a report into an incident with a level crossing protected by worked distant signals with insufficient stopping distance.

The majority of distant signals on the Kingscourt branch were fixed at caution as the majority of crossings were operated by the train crew. Signals included some interesting 19th Century specimens that may have dated from N&K days.

scan0184.jpg

scan0185.jpg

Distant signal near Castletown

scan0186.jpg

Kilmainhamwood crossing

The majority of distant signals on the Kingscourt branch were fixed at caution as the majority of crossings were operated by the train crew. Signals included some interesting 19th Century specimens that may have dated from N&K days.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23294[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23295[/ATTACH]

Distant signal near Castletown

That would have been originally topped with an enormous cast iron ball and spike that was either removed or had broken off.

Thanks for the shout out gentlemen, always appreciated.

The Single Semaphore Posts kit (S07)contains enough parts to make three full home or away signals (lower quadrant of course).

I know that Kingscourt one only too well, as I passed it regularly on the final stretch to visit the Outlaws.

A strange beast and never came across the like of it anywhere else.

Finials were rare on anything post 1930's and only typically found on the Lattice style signal, which I also do.

Since the ones I examined the home was worked by the gate , how was the distant worked perhaps it was just worked in tandem with the home.

Historically a high proportion of crossings outside of station limits appear to have been protected only by distant signals, with a home signal provided if sighting of the gates was poor. The signals at some crossings were controlled by ground frames Hodson's Bay Crossing outside Athlone had up & down home and distant signals controlled by a frame, Adare had a frame with 3 working levers controlling the gate lock and distant signals.

Its likely that CIE/IE had started to improve signalling at level crossings on an ad-hoc basis in response to near-miss incidents and complaints raised by drivers, resulting in quite different signalling at similar crossings on a section of line.

You can motorise them with a Servo easily enough (I started A bracket signal some time back but its left in a box with my modelling mojo) When I get going again I might have a go at this as it is something different. Alternatively use a Dapol GWR signal and a SSM arm. Those Dapols are wooden post signals but that were used around the network too.

Have a read thought this thread on RMWEB it will give you some pointers re animation.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59687-semaphore-signals-4mm-scale-mainly/page/35/

cheers

George

• Informative 1

Thanks George. Is it also possible to illuminate the ssm round post signals do you know?

I was also looking at ratio round post (to be honest I think the vast majority of signals around the area I want to model were round post by the 1990s, which is my era) kits. Have you any experience of them re: servo control and illumination?

Des, Supplies pre wired tiny leds, a Tab too bright TBH so you would be better off with Fibre Optics and a bigger white LED to power the light under the board

You should order one off him to see what what an give it a go. They are quite sexy looking when done if you can say that these days

image.thumb.png.abe49bf6219675a6812183d505dc9b05.png

• Thanks 1