Oxford Diecast Isle of Man 2-4-0T

Rate this topic

Maitland

This promises to be a cracker:

http://www.oxforddiecast.co.uk/collections/oxford-rail/products/isle-of-man-no-10-g-h-wood-indian-red-1945-1967-or76iom001

Pity the preview has "G.W.Wood" rather than "G>H"- I suppose they'll fix that. No motor, but that never held back the old Airfix pug...

I believe there's also a Manx Electric Winter Saloon to follow - also unpowered.

Some of their cars look well. Cars and vans in station forecourts - if the right era, and if the wheels aren't super-shiny - can add a lot of realism. But a Toyota Corolla, for example, on a black'n'tan layout ....no.....

Have you been at the falling-down lotion again, JB? :P

Some of their cars look well. Cars and vans in station forecourts - if the right era, and if the wheels aren't super-shiny - can add a lot of realism. But a Toyota Corolla, for example, on a black'n'tan layout ....no.....

I don't want to split hairs but the Mk1 Corolla has been around since '66 (although I'm not sure when it actually made it to the Irish & UK markets)

It was really a standard(ish) design- the Ballymena & Larne (and later the Castlederg and Victoria Bridge) used an earlier version of the same loco, and it was exported to Norway, Sweden and maybe other places, so its sort of "within bounds" for freelance Irish as it stands. Belbaught might go mixed gauge!

Garfieldsghost is right- they are available, but only from the Isle of Man government. Hutchinson and Car 21 ordered. I'll tell you how easily motorised when they are when I get them.

I don't want to split hairs but the Mk1 Corolla has been around since '66 (although I'm not sure when it actually made it to the Irish & UK markets)

I worked with a Japanese chap who used to buy his cars in Japan, second-hand, and ship them over to Southampton, a benefit of the Japanese having inherited right-hand drive.

In the mid-80s there were very few foreigners in the UK and my top memory of him is the time he rang a local garage in what must have sounded like a spoof accent, and said "I have 1969 Toyota Carina - I have sripping crutch!" - we were astounded when they took him at face value and just carried on with the conversation. Even the existence of a Carina that old in those days was mad enough, but his "Benny Hill" accent was comical.

Over the years his accent got worse, as we got better at understanding him - one day, a chap on the shop floor actually asked me how long it had taken me to learn Japanese - he didn't even realise that I was being spoken to in English...