Kingsbridge - paint shop

Rate this topic

Noel

28 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

The Hornby shorties are awesome as they run around R1 curves, as do 141's and 071's!

Exactly. I find mk3s and 201s too long for typical layouts and look all wrong on curves, not to mention the length of a rake. The Baby GMs and 2 axles wagons or 57ft coaches are my favourite. They just look right in the non-scale world of a layout. The only minor snag with the shorties is you need to source buffers for them.

There's a lot to be said for short wheelbase stock. In my BR modelling days, three 50' coaches took up the same space as two Mark 1s and a van, while early Irish wagons can be as little as five inches long in 7mm scale, whereas an H is around six. Can add an extra wagon to a given train length, which is very handy when space is tight, while they certainly look far better on tight curves.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 29/3/2021 at 7:33 AM, David Holman said:

There's a lot to be said for short wheelbase stock. In my BR modelling days, three 50' coaches took up the same space as two Mark 1s and a van, while early Irish wagons can be as little as five inches long in 7mm scale, whereas an H is around six. Can add an extra wagon to a given train length, which is very handy when space is tight, while they certainly look far better on tight curves.

Yip that's why I love 2 axle goods wagons, you can have realistic formations without taking up too much track and they still look ok on shortish radius bends. Similar which coaches, a rake of Hornby mk3 shorties actually look more authentic the the correct scale length coaches. Perhaps heresy to some rivet counters, I'll wait till the Rotem 22k ICR sets actually arrive but I've already given consideration to a cut and shut option to take one window length out of each coach to make them look more correct on a layout sized trackwork with layout radius curves, platforms, etc. 😱 I'll be shot at dawn.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Got two items lightly weathered this evening for use on Gort

SilverFox Tin Van - Not quite as grubby as JHB might like, but enough perhaps to get the idea.

IMG_1812.JPG

Irish Freight Models - CIE Laminate Coach. This is grubber than they would have ever looked. Back in the day CIE kept the black and tan coaches pretty clean, unlike IR in the 1990s who let the mk2 and mk3 stock go to pot as well as the few remaining B&T coaches.

IMG_1818.JPG

Ready for Wexford, well ready enough.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Noel said:

SilverFox Tin Van - Not quite as grubby as JHB might like, but enough perhaps to get the idea.

IMG_1812.JPG

Yes it would have been absolutely irecodnisable. But that’s better then “as it came” 

the only thing that would send JB to smelling salts incorporated is the roof….I think they were silver as standard! 

I’m in the look out for one of these vans all the time. If they were available as kit I might try those ones. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Noel said:

IMG_1812.JPG

Irish Freight Models - CIE Laminate Coach. This is grubber than they would have ever looked. Back in the day CIE kept the black and tan coaches pretty clean, unlike IR in the 1990s who let the mk2 and mk3 stock go to pot as well as the few remaining B&T coaches.

IMG_1818.JPG

Ready for Wexford, well ready enough.

You'd get the odd one as grubby as that - but as you suggest - very few! My recollections were that carriages on Limerick - Ballina and the Cobh branch tended to look the tattiest - though possibly because they were often the oldest still in use.

I like your tin van - mine were deliberately done as filthy as the worst photos of them show! - though Silverfox - despite being told over and over again - insist on painting silver vehicles with a black roof - they should be silver - and green ones with a grey roof - THEY should be black!

I have a Silverfox tin van which I asked for in green. It arrived in a very dark UTA green - which is even too dark for the early CIE green which they never carried anyway - and with a pale grey roof. I'm going to have to get it repainted.

Not often I rant about a manufacturer - but for the prices this really isn't good enough. I have advised SF on several occasions about correct livery details for Irish stuff, but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Mind you, a laminate in Chinese National Railways livery would still look well on Gort!

1 minute ago, Westcorkrailway said:

.... only thing that would send JB to smelling salts incorporated is the roof….I think they were silver as standard!

Correct. Anything - locos, coaches, PO vans or tin vans, which were put into traffic as silver, had silver everything - chassis, bogies, roofs, the lot.

Anything green - in either the earlier or later green - black roofs. In black'n'tan era of course all roofs black anyway.

The UTA, in contrast, had mid-to-dark grey roofs on THEIR green livery.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gabhal Luimnigh said:

This thread is going to keep me busy 😅

Nice work Noel, I won't apologize in advance for copying some of your ideas 😉

Cheers. We're all here to share and learn from each other. Youtube university was brilliant help to me. Especially Richard's Everard junction channel. Learning to do new stuff is great fun, challenging and rewarding. Have fun!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Where have all of the Kingsbridge layout photos gone? There were some savage photos, and some pretty recent posts, I thought?

Still there. Not much has happened to it this past year. This winter planning to do scenics similar to Gort.  I've spent most my time these past two years on Gort, and rolling stock kits, resprays, weathering, kadee conversions, and running sessions. Next few weeks on working signals for Gort and lighting. Autumn scheduled for Gort extension to fiddle yard loop.

https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/8721-kingsbridge-old-new-layout/page/11/

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Still there. Not much has happened to it this past year. This winter planning to do scenics similar to Gort.  I've spent most my time these past two years on Gort, and rolling stock kits, resprays, weathering, kadee conversions, and running sessions. Next few weeks on working signals for Gort and lighting. Autumn scheduled for Gort extension to fiddle yard loop.

https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/8721-kingsbridge-old-new-layout/page/11/

Oh, they're in the OTHER Kingsbridge thread, duuuuh, I forgot that there are two.

You could be more considerate towards OCD idiots like me and call one of them "Noel's Wonderful Workbench" and than I wouldn't get confused.