Ulster MRC Exhibition Belfast 26th- 27th August

Rate this topic

irishmail

New to the model railroad scene but planning on getting to this as my first exhibition. Hope to get a few ideas for setting up a layout with the other half, looking to get info on baseboards and general track construction

Hi Speedy,

I'll be there with an exhibition baseboard. Call over and I can help you out.

A thoroughly enjoyable visit to UMRC exhibition today. My son particularly enjoyed the Meccano presentation and was more than tickled when he could play with models off of one of their tables.

It was a pleasure to meet John with his Campbell Riverside layout.

I spoke to a chap, Derek, from I think the MRSI, regarding station plans. He had given me some advice for sourcing similar plans for Ballymena Station but for the life of me I can't remember the source he suggested. If anyone is attending or knows Derek, perhaps he or she could ask for me. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks to the UMRC for the show, I will be back next year.

Wow, first time to attend a model rail exhibition, headed up the road early this morning with the other half who is the one with the main model rail interest. Thoroughly enjoyed looking around the various displays and picked up a few more bits for our display when we get round to constructing it. Got a few ideas and some advice on how to go about the display too. Looking forward to the Dublin show at the end of October.

Most impressed by the Lisburn, Quarry Hill and Impressions of Ireland displays

A thoroughly enjoyable visit to UMRC exhibition today. My son particularly enjoyed the Meccano presentation and was more than tickled when he could play with models off of one of their tables.

It was a pleasure to meet John with his Campbell Riverside layout.

I spoke to a chap, Derek, from I think the MRSI, regarding station plans. He had given me some advice for sourcing similar plans for Ballymena Station but for the life of me I can't remember the source he suggested. If anyone is attending or knows Derek, perhaps he or she could ask for me. :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks to the UMRC for the show, I will be back next year.

Hi Paul, great to meet you at the show and glad that you enjoyed it. Will you be going to Enniskillen on 30th September?

John, I only became aware of a show in Enniskillen through a posting on here. Unfortunately, it's about a 4 hour round trip for me to get there so I'll have to give it a miss. Perhaps in future years I'll get that length. We have so few of these exhibitions I feel we should all support them as much as possible for the future of the hobby.

Two questions for you John. Firstly, did you happen to speak to the chaps on the stand behind you? It was one of them who had given me guidance on sourcing station plans for Ballymena.

Secondly, I was curious as to whether the Mela helped or hindered bringing more footfall to the exhibition yesterday?

Paul

Hi Paul, cant remember the guys names but I think they are from the South Dublin Model Railway Club, Here are links to their Facebook and website.

https://www.facebook.com/southdublinmodelrailwayclub/

http://www.sdmrc.hobbysites.net/viewpage.php?page_id=1

I think the Mela may have had an effect on the Sunday, as yesterday seemed a lot quieter than Saturday. It was still a great weekend. Hope your plans for Ballymena work out well.

Regards. John

Speedy

Thanks for the endorsement about the Impressions of Ireland Display.

Attached a a few photos of the display

Two overviews front and rear

Front view.jpg

Rearview.jpg

A few details from the layout

Arriving for the Fair.jpg

Lost.jpg

Girder bridge.jpg

A selection of locomotives and stock running on the day

Class 121 and 201 passing.jpg

Class 800 express.jpg

Old and new.jpg

MikeO

Thanks chaps, yes, it was Derek. I can't for the life of me remember the people to ask regarding station plans. Paul R, can you shed any light on it for me?

As for that Impressions of Ireland display, I'm not sure I even saw that!! How did I miss such a big impressive layout?

Final question, who won the vote for best display?

Paul

I think that yoke was with the original (1970) Hunslet-hauled "Enterprise". Like all on his layout, that model is an absolute beauty.

Yes, MK2 Buffet in service until late 1997.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1530&bih=738&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=nir+mk2+buffet&oq=nir+mk2+buffet&gs_l=psy-ab.3...13747.19439.0.19926.14.14.0.0.0.0.155.1504.6j8.14.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.8.925...0j0i67k1.YNJ0GfIi-fA#imgrc=_ See first two images.

Now own by RPSI as Green livery 547(Note- one windows removed).

https://www.steamtrainsireland.com/rpsi-collection/27/mk2-dining-car-547

Managed to get time to sort out a few photos from Saturday, most of them are just for trying to get a few ideas and see how things were done on displays

Peter,

Thanks for putting that super slideshow up - great stuff and worth a look, as you say, for ideas.

I commend it to the rest of you - a good use of a quarter of an hour!

Leslie

Managed to get time to sort out a few photos from Saturday, most of them are just for trying to get a few ideas and see how things were done on displays

Peter,

Thanks for putting that super slideshow up - great stuff and worth a look, as you say, for ideas.

I commend it to the rest of you - a good use of a quarter of an hour!

Leslie

Thanks for the comment Leslie, I'll take a bit more time at the show in Dublin at the end if October to get a few more detailed shots of displays, might bring the big camera as the ones from last weekend were taken with the pocket camera

Saw this unusual coach on Kieran Lagans layout

Mk 2 diner,

Anyone know the history of this coach?

Sorry about the quality

htrtuDK.jpg

Dave, not my layout but the NCC Group. The Enterprise Set is owned by Colm Flanagan and i believe he adapted a Bachmann Mk 2 to convert it to a Buffet Car.