Four Masters Bridge, Glengarriff & other former Irish models/layouts

Rate this topic

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Brack said:

Make sure the track clearances are wide enough for the bachmann quarry hunslet...

Too late! However I could build a new NG7 layout in my 'den' but it would have to be at a height of 6 feet above floor level so rather than standing on me Till Box I will need a pair of steps to operate it. It would be at eye level viewing for you however.

Just thinking your Mother did say I could build a layout on the landing though .............

Edited by Irishswissernie
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I have been giving a fair bit of thought as to how the new layout progresses. I really miss the ability to run trains on a circuit as per the original Glengarriff layout plus I would like  a small NG7 layout for shunting. The solution appears to be to replace the part built Mullaghmore terminus with an NG7 /O-16.5 layout but attached to the exiting Irish OO with a new OO drop board across the door and behind the OO9 layout to connect up with the  Irish fiddle yard. When I am running the Irish layout the trains will then run through the NG7 board to complete the circuit.

I have acquired a new 4K video camera with a 20x zoom. This was used by the Driver of A30 who with the assistance of his jet pack took the photo below.

2024-03-19 Four Masters Bridge A30.jpg

• Like 16

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2021 at 9:52 PM, Brack said:

On a slightly more depressing note, bought some microsol/set, put a bit of klear/gloss varnish on the surface (which has had a week to dry).

Tried twice more on the snails.

This happens every time:16364078707665660214751504078005.thumb.jpg.c6eb15c6786139146ef19cf15672eac0.jpg

They curl up into a tight little roll.

The transfers look fine on their backing, but I've made a lot of models, with decals from loads of different sources and never had any do this before. A bit of silvering, or old decals tearing, but none that literally curl up away from the surface whatever you do.

16364080079063794619144648062631.thumb.jpg.1fe4e95d20d27ca86c0c4091c3d00e82.jpg

This is from the other week - decals went on fine.

Might try and paint one. Or 3D print a stamp or stencil!

Hi There,

I note you have folks that live in Southport, not far from Burscough where Universal Bulk Handling built these Bulk Haul reefer tanks. The factory was levelled about two years ago and the site is now brand new "toy town " housing development.

Gibbo.

The Study or Mancave , Railway Room or Rubbish Tip depending on who is expressing their opinion now has the continous run installed with a removable drop board across the entrance. The Mullaghmore area, on the right in the second photo, is to be re-developed for the proposed NG7 Quarry but Irish OO and the NG7 will be able to utilise each others sections and also the fiddle yard for running.

The Drowes River bridge at Four Masters is somewhat hidden far right but there will be a further scenic extension on the approach to the fiddle yard in front of the window.

2024-06-27 Drop Board done (3).JPG

2024-06-27 Drop Board done. Drop Board removed..JPG

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Irishswissernie said:

Not any more, my youngest daughter and her husband lived in Southport but have now moved back to the 'Centre of Britain' (according to the Town Council) good old Haltwhistle.

Somewhat off topic here, but I have been wasting far too much time recently looking at your brilliant photos of Haltwhistle, Alton, Brompton, and railways in north east England that I had never paid any attention to or even heard about, like the Stanhope and Tyne, and the Westoe Colliery railway, as well as a great Scottish journey from Wick to Aberdeen. Fantastic stuff, and thanks for broadening my horizons. I travelled from Carlisle to Newcastle through Haltwhistle this Easter, and felt like we were cutting our way through the primordial rainforest - it was amazing to see pictures of it in the 1960s and 70s with tracks everywhere.

Alan

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1