4mm Wagon Production

Rate this topic

padmack

Dear all,

Progress on some wagons I have been working on for the last while. They are a mixture of SSM kits, to which I am new, Alphagraphix card kits which are certainly a challenge and of course the old fashioned kitbashed uk outlines - more so for beefing up the available rolling stock. All vehicles are to constructed to the 21mm 5'3" gauge which adds a tricky element to kitbashing chassis but I certainly think its worth the effort - especially since they reflect the correct scale proportions compared to modified RTR vehicles. I am working up to regauging Bogey carriages which, to be fair, is comparatively easy and of course beginning to modify some old RTR locos from the old 00 to 21mm. Anyway to the progress.

1.CIE livery ex-GSWR Convertible wagon - straight build from a SSM kit. Very solid construction, good weight. This vehicle has 3' 7' (14mm) split spoke wheels on a 28mm brass axles of my own construction.

2. MGWR (same as above) but the kit varies slightly in appearance from the GSWR. This vehicle has 3' (12mm) split spoke wheels

3. Parts of GSR horsebox. This is an Alphagraphix kit to be seated on a modified Ratio chassis cut down to fit body dimensions. It is fitted with 3'7" Maunsell coach wheels. The L/H body panels are fitted with the strapping and detailing the R/H have none. I forgot to score along the planking - an absolute must for realism sake. The buffers are Alan Gibson RCH sprung.

4. All 6 body parts fitted together. Very challenging shape to this body with the dogbox angles. This was was primary alphagraphix wagon kit and in construction decided to bevel the edges to create angles thinking they might fit together better. instead the effect was to create large gaps that are evident here.

5. Two Bachmann tanks to be repainted into "mex" and "irish Shell" branding. the one on the left is regauged the other is as bought. The solebars were removed from the chassis and glued them back with packing as necessary. This way we retain details and also dont compromise body-to-chassis securing. Im a bit stuck with the tank wagons - i cant seem to find any waterslide transfers in large red lettering for the rebranding. I thought these would be easy to find but so far i've turned up nothing. Does anyone know anything of use?

6. GSR Horsebox again sitting on its chassis. Much work needed on both to complete.

7. Later picture attempting to illustrate how a little subtle weathering enhances the strapping and fittings of the body. Anybody that has made a card kits knows of the white edges that utterly ruin the illusion of a 3d object be it building or vehicle. The corners and edges have been reinforced internally and covered up externally using very thin card strips of matching colour - an advantage of using card kits. Chassis had brakes, tie-bars and screw couplings fitted - also out of shot vacuum pipes as i belive this vehicles were fitted for working on passenger trains. The roof is not attached yet but has been finished with vent and lamp detail. for weight 2 AA batteries fit snuggly side by side and weigh in at the correct wagon weight, secured with a bit of pva.

8. The flash photography sems to show a slight "bulge" but it is not really there - its a crooked bit of strapping - an incredibly fiddly job all told. A bit of ageing/weathering should disguise this.

9. MGWR convertible wagon Alphagraphix kit. painstaking work involved in the strapping but it was worth it and stands up very well against the two SSM models. This van is weighted with 2cent coins 14 cents per axle!

10. And finally 2 modified Parkside Dundas palvans just thrown together for the craic really. I started them ages ago in 00 but never got around to fitting the chassis so I was able to modify the bodies to compensate for the wider gauge. I also did work on the doors just to give a bit of variety. Theyre not accurate but they will provide a bit of 60s/70s freight stock filler and they will look the part when the CIE broken wheels are applied!

I look forward to your comments.

DSC02624.jpg

DSC02622.jpg

DSC02621.jpg

DSC02618.jpg

DSC02601.jpg

DSC02600.jpg

DSC02596.jpg

DSC02591.jpg

DSC02581.jpg

DSC02576.jpg

DSC02624.jpg

DSC02622.jpg

DSC02621.jpg

DSC02618.jpg

DSC02601.jpg

DSC02600.jpg

DSC02596.jpg

DSC02591.jpg

DSC02581.jpg

DSC02576.jpg

That's some awesome work Padmack and it's nice to see more 21mm modelling on the group. The wagons and the track look great and a lot of hard work has gone into them. Thanks for sharing your very inspirational work with us and please keep us posted with updates.

Rich,

Padmac

Very nice excellent work, its good to see someone having a go at the more historic stock.

The horsebox is ex MGWR I am planning to produce an etched brass version of the horse box which share the same chassis as the Meat Van which is currently under development.

Northyard in New Zealand stock a suitable 28mm axle, top hat bearings, bolts and other scratch/kit builders supplies, there disc wheels intended for S Scale but are very good and suitable for OO, with $1 worth roughly €0.50 postage is marginally higher than from the UK

http://northyard.co.nz/

That's gorgeous modelling, Padmack.

I've just spent an hour poring over the SSM underframe for the convertible. Is that the sprung version you're using, and if so, have you any advice on how to put it together? I'm feeling a bit out of my depth at the moment.

Lovely weathering on the horsebox. There's a picture in Des Coakham's "Irish Broad Gauge Carriages", but in black and white.

Great ideas on how to weight down models. I've been wondering how to do it in order to avoid using lead. (You'll probably want to seal the batteries, otherwise they'll leak acid in a few months / years and ruin your models. There was correspondence in MRJ a few years back about using lead shot and pvc for weights: apparently the pvc reacts with the lead and the resultant compound is bulky and can cause models to swell and buckle. I haven't tried it myself, so that's just 2nd hand info.)

Thanks John for posting the address for 28 mm axles. Scalefour are out of stock and I've just about used up my supply.

Alan

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2106[/ATTACH]

5. Two Bachmann tanks to be repainted into "mex" and "irish Shell" branding. the one on the left is regauged the other is as bought. The solebars were removed from the chassis and glued them back with packing as necessary. This way we retain details and also dont compromise body-to-chassis securing. Im a bit stuck with the tank wagons - i cant seem to find any waterslide transfers in large red lettering for the rebranding.

I was wondering if you managed to get slide transfers and complete your tank wagons? Love the GSWR and MGWR wagons:-bd

Those Palvans look absolutely fantastic!

(Don't forget to paint the chassis grey!)

The Palvans had three different variations of end details and two variations of door. Earlier ones had strapping on doors, later ones plain doors. The end details are better described by photos than dscriptiins, but some were plain with strapping, others corrugated, and others again half and half. Plenty of scope for variations!

Roundels tan surround / white lettering on grey vans, all-white on brown vans post 1970.

The MGWR vans and horse box also look fantastic - well done.