Rate this topic

hexagon789

On 23/4/2019 at 5:52 PM, hexagon789 said:

(Had a search on this site, but I could only find an existing thread on livery nicknames, not class nicknames.)

I've heard a few but wondered if anyone could add to the following -

121 Class - Yanks

141/181 Class - Small/Baby GMs

071 Class - Big GMs

201 Class - River Class

22000 Class - ICRs

Does anyone know of any other nicknames for the above or for other classes?

Regards, Ben.

My Dad who was a Driver from the 1980s to the late 2000s used to always refer to the 141/181s as the “Bo-Bo’s” due to their wheel configuration ,I’m not sure was it a personal name he had for them himself or if it was a local name (drogheda) 

• Informative 1

28 minutes ago, Anders112 said:

My Dad who was a Driver from the 1980s to the late 2000s used to always refer to the 141/181s as the “Bo-Bo’s” due to their wheel configuration ,I’m not sure was it a personal name he had for them himself or if it was a local name (drogheda) 

That’s common parlance for that wheel arrangement, because it is denoted as such; Bo-Bo.

On 30/7/2024 at 10:59 PM, irishrailways52 said:

the poor 29000s always get a hard time.

a few friends i know who live on the Dublin to cork mainline often refer to the 071s as the sleep in spoilers

The 29s are hard work is why 😄

I'm sure theres no loved lost for locals with the 201s idling outside Connolly shed all morning!

On 23/4/2019 at 5:52 PM, hexagon789 said:

(Had a search on this site, but I could only find an existing thread on livery nicknames, not class nicknames.)

I've heard a few but wondered if anyone could add to the following -

121 Class - Yanks

141/181 Class - Small/Baby GMs

071 Class - Big GMs

201 Class - River Class

22000 Class - ICRs

Does anyone know of any other nicknames for the above or for other classes?

Regards, Ben.

Hi Ben, the 071's were called big Yanks in Inchicore. That's what they were called when I was there. I think it was the same for Connolly shed. Discounting the Northern Ireland 071's, there was only one CIE 071 class loco based in Connolly during the time I was there (1982/83) and it's first trip from Connolly, as far as I can remember, was to Rosslare harbour. A friend of mine travelled to Dun Laoghaire in the cab, unfortunately I had to go back to work ☹️ Paul.

• Informative 1

On 31/3/2024 at 8:59 PM, Darrman said:

(this was referring to 2600s, see topic: Irish Rail in video games, for full context) Cattle Cars, as whoever wrote the Wikipedia 2600 page (I suspect that person is not a fan of the 2600) calls them?

Interesting nickname, but as @Darrman said, probably made up by someone who isn't a huge fan.

On 30/7/2024 at 11:55 PM, Anders112 said:

My grandfather was a signalman and he used to refer to them as the "Bo-Bo's" also, so it must have been a common enough name within CIE.

• Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...

And a few posts on UK loco nicknames here:

On 25/8/2024 at 9:07 PM, irishmail said:

Good price for the Mc Rats. :) 

9 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

And what an odd nickname. Also heard them called teaspoons or teacups or something.

2 hours ago, irishmail said:

Class 25 loco's got the nickname of rats as they were all over the network,  then 26 & 27 locos (originally used on the Midland and Eastern region before migrating to Scotland), also got the 'rat nick name by some people, hence the Mac Rats when they moved to Scotland.  

Never heard of the teaspoon/teacup nickname, however there were some variations of names with  the various diesel locos.

1 hour ago, irishmail said:
  • Class 08 - Gronk
  • Class 14 - Teddy Bear
  • Class 20 - Chopper/Mini-Whistler
  • Class 22 - Baby Warship
  • Class 23 - Baby Deltic
  • Class 24/25/26/27 - Rat/MacRat
  • Class 28 - Co-Bo
  • Class 31 - Ped/Gargoyle/Skinheads
  • Class 33 - Bagpipes/Slim Jim/Crompton
  • Class 35 - Hymek
  • Class 37 - Tractor/Syphon/Growler/Slugs
  • Class 40 - Whistler/Bucket
  • Class 42 - Warship
  • Class 43 HSTs - Trams
  • Class 44/45/46 - Peak
  • Class 47 - Duff/Spoon/Brush
  • Class 50 - Hoover
  • Class 52 - Western/Wizzo
  • Class 55 - Deltic/Boats
  • Class 56 - Grid
  • Class 57 - Zombie/Bodysnatcher
  • Class 58 - Bone/Egg-timer
  • Class 59 - Super-shed
  • Class 60 - Tug/Super-tug/Politicians/Donuts
  • Class 66 - Shed/Ying-yings
  • Class 67 - Skip/Cyclops
  • Class 70 - Betty/Bone Mk2
  • Class 73 - EDs
  • Class 76/77 - Tommys
  • Class 81-85 - Roarers
  • Class 89 - Badger
  • Class 90 - Skoda
  • Class 91 - Electra
  • Class 92 - Dyson

28 minutes ago, LNERW1 said:

I have a few questions, can someone help me out?

Class 52- Wizzo?

Class 31- Ped, what is this in reference to or do I want to know.

Class 55- Boats? They are Deltics. This is one where I’m not confused, I’m angry.

HST- Tram? I’m sure there’s some almost-sensible reason but really?

Class 40-Bucket? Only ever heard the term “Whistler”.

Class 60- Politicians and Donuts? I’m beginning to feel like you might be having me on.

Class 66- Ying-Yings? What on God’s Green Earth is this a reference to?

please help me

My favourite is the original Brush Type 2 which became the Class 31/0. Drivers called them Toffee Apples because the main throttle control was removable and needed to be transferred to the other cab when changing direction. It was a ball shaped handle on the end of lever/stick - hence the nickname.

• Like 4

More posts on class nicknames from the "Bargain Watch" thread:

On 27/8/2024 at 11:30 AM, skinner75 said:

They look like trams? With the sloped cab and all

On 27/8/2024 at 11:35 AM, Niles said:

66 - ying ying... sound they make idling (similar to an 071 or 201).

Not a clue otherwise 😁

On 27/8/2024 at 12:04 PM, Galteemore said:

Class 55- Boats? They are Deltics. This is one where I’m not confused, I’m angry.

No need for ire. The Napier Deltic was originally a marine engine, and the power unit was used by the Royal Navy right up to 2018. 

On 27/8/2024 at 6:01 PM, hexagon789 said:

Teacups, because the engine sound on tickover sounds like *ti-cup ti-cup, ti-cup, ti-cup*

Whizzos or wizzos - because they were "wizzo or wizard", now somewhat dated slang for being great. Westerns is definitely the more common nickname though, but there are others such as Thousands.

Ped, "ped-estrian" - relating to the 31s rather sluggish performance

Boats - as mentioned, the Napier engine was widely used by the Navy in Gunboats and similar. They were also called 'gunboats' for this reason.

Tram - because they could run in either direction and were high in frequency of appearance.

Bucket was rather derogatory, Whistlers was you might say the name of choice 40 bashers/fans and bucket that of their detractors. Given because towards the end most of the 40s were 'Rust Buckets' to some degree, only the "Green one" was looked after much.

Politicians - because they are full of holes, you can see through the bodyside grilles. Ditto Doughnuts.

Ying-yings - because the low engine idle produces a charateristic 'ying-ying' sound.

Precisely that.

I'll add some others:

Class 08 - Jockos

• Class 14 - D Nine-Fivers

• Class 20 - Whistling Wardrobes

• Class 22 - Spokies

• Class 24 - Fruit Machines

• Class 25 - Spluts

• Class 26/27 - Spinning Tea Cups/Tip Tops

• Class 28 - Crossleys

• Class 31 - Baby Brushes/Brians/Mirlees/Rogers/Toffee Apples

• Class 33 - Bean Cans

• Class 35 - Meks

• Class 37 - Bonnets/Bullnoses/Frogeyes/Growlers/Nose Peds

• Class 40 - Big Ds/Empresses

• Class 42 - D800s

• Class 43 HSTs - Flying Bananas/Zings

• Class 44/45/46 - Wagons
• Class 45 - Cromptons
• Class 46 - Brush Fours, usual ER crew name when new; also later referred to 47s network-wide

• Class 47 - Brush Fours/Generators (401-420 only)/Hawker/MacDuff (Scottish based)/Shove Duff (push-pull fitted)

• Class 50 - Blue Bleeps/Vacs

• Class 52 - Thousands

• Class 55 - Drones/Gun Boats

• Class 56 - Christmas Trees/Gridirons

• Class 57 - Heinzs/Thumderbirds

• Class 58 - Fitted Wardrobes

• Class 59 - Yanks

• Class 60 - Polos/Ghosts

• Class 66 - Donkeys

• Class 67 - Neds/Piledrivers/Super Sheds

• Class 68 - Big Cats/Cats/Caterpillars/Warskips

• Class 70 - Fuglies/Predators/Pugs/Ugly Bettys

• Class 73 - Eddies/Mr Eds/Shoeboxes

• Class 81-86 - Sparkies

• Class 86 - Cans/Zebedees

• Class 87 - Lasers/Pifcos/Magnificent Sevens/Sevens

• Class 88 - Fat Ladies

• Class 89 - Flying Badger

• Class 90 - Carpet Slippers

• Class 91 - Ladas/Milkfloats/Super Skodas

• Class 92 - Caravans

Some for units:

Arkwrights - 444s
Basils - 755s
Bog Carts - 1st gen DMUs
Clactons - 309s
Cucumbers - GWR 800/802
Dessies/Dezzies - 350/380/444/450
Four Slip 'n' Slide - 455s
Greyhounds - 421/5
Happy Trains - 365s
Javelins - 395
Nelsons - SR 4COR
Nodding Donkeys - Pacers
Plastic Pigs - 442s
Rattle Traps - 304
Scuds/Shoeboxes/Skateboards - 153
Thumpers - 205 mainly but any of 201-207
Zoomers - LNER 800/801

On 28/8/2024 at 7:39 AM, gibbo675 said:

Hi Hexagon,

I could add some extras names to that list:

• 08 Gronk
  • 20 Chopper
  • 24/25 Rats because they scurry about all over the place
  • 26/27 McRats because they mostly worked in Scotland
  • 37 Tractors
  • 40 Whistler
  • 44/45/46 Peaks although only the 44's carried such name plates
  • 47 Spoons because of the the noise the horns made
  • 50 Hoovers variation of Vac
  • 55 Deltic
  • 60 Tugs
  • 81-85 Roarer
  • 90 Skoda

Gibbo.

•  

On 28/8/2024 at 8:18 AM, hexagon789 said:

Thank you Gibbo, much appreciated, but Irishmail posted those further up, I was just giving some further variants for those same classes.

On 28/8/2024 at 10:44 AM, Northroader said:

Class 14. Canton drivers called them “iron lungs” (appearance) or “tampaxes” (you used them once, and threw them away)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, LNERW1 said:

Thought I’d actually contribute- I’ve heard 071s and 66s referred to as Yank Tanks. I feel it’s obvious enough why.

I believe the 121s are commonly known as 'Yanks' because they were the first US-built locos.

Similarly the 59s in the UK are known as 'Yanks', though a few other classes with US heritage are also nicknamed such, including at least one class of steam locomotive.

Edited by hexagon789
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

I believe the 121s are commonly known as 'Yanks' because they were the first US-built locos.

Similarly the 59s in the UK are known as 'Yanks', though a few other classes with US heritage are also nicknamed such, including at least one class of steam locomotive.

I was around when they first ventured to Belfast on the Enterprise and I can't remember what we referred to them as except, possibly "B Bullets".

You see - when the Blessed Oliver painted the early diesels in the silver livery,  "senior" steam enthusiasts  like Drew Donaldson etc referred to them as "Bullets".  So, logically when the American B Class came along they were referred to a "B Bullets". Latterly, I've always referred to them as "Single-ended Yankees" - but that's not in common use, even if it describes them well.

The RPSI had cause to be glad of them, as their existence meant you needed TURNTABLES - which just happened to be useful for turning steam locos with tenders!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

On 3/9/2024 at 1:00 AM, leslie10646 said:

I was around when they first ventured to Belfast on the Enterprise and I can't remember what we referred to them as except, possibly "B Bullets".

You see - when the Blessed Oliver painted the early diesels in the silver livery,  "senior" steam enthusiasts  like Drew Donaldson etc referred to them as "Bullets".  So, logically when the American B Class came along they were referred to a "B Bullets". Latterly, I've always referred to them as "Single-ended Yankees" - but that's not in common use, even if it describes them well.

The RPSI had cause to be glad of them, as their existence meant you needed TURNTABLES - which just happened to be useful for turning steam locos with tenders!

Senior - still in the railway at the time - simply referred to the 121 & 141 classes alike as the “B class”. 

To him, a diehard steam man, they were all the same!

On 2/9/2024 at 8:40 PM, hexagon789 said:

I was talking more about the “Tank” side, ie absolute unit of a loco. And obviously they’re both American. As far as the nickname goes re 66s it seems to be a thing mainly in parts of northwestern England, specifically Merseyside and Chester IIRC. As far as I can tell of course, I could be entirely wrong. I’ll see if I can find the Facebook posts I’ve seen before where 66s are referred to as such. As far as 071s I think I might have been misremembering. I think I equate 071s with 66s sort of subconsciously even though they’re not that similar, it’s weird.

• Thanks 1