Station track plans.

Rate this topic

MD220

Hi.

Does anyone know of a readily available source of Irish station track plans? I'm particularly interested in Claremorris and Sligo as they were in the 70s & 80s, not their current streamlined form! I've looked online but haven't turned up much.

Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, MD220 said:

Hi.

Does anyone know of a readily available source of Irish station track plans? I'm particularly interested in Claremorris and Sligo as they were in the 70s & 80s, not their current streamlined form! I've looked online but haven't turned up much.

Thanks. 

Yep Claremorris from 1955 is - just checked.....Sligo?     

You could use the OSI's Geohive map layers - particular the 1888 - 1913 map - i find it pretty good for stations layout which in many cases were unchanged from then until the 60s and 70s when CIE started to destroy them all...

• Like 1

I have an album on flickr covering Claremorris specifically in 2003 & 2005. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/albums/72157626841836014

At the beginning of the album there are 9 videos each approx 9minutes long covering operations at the station In may & June 2003. The 7  18th/19th june ones were very interesting as the line was being relaid west of the station and at one time  5 locos on various trains were there. Shunting of the Guinness traffic is also covered.

Flickr was offline undergoing a massive software migration yesterday and is being a bit of a pain at the moment but should settle down once the backlog of selfies etc  has been uploaded by the er younger generation!

Ernie

Link to http://map.geohive.ie/mapviewer.html

Type the Search Address, Heuston Station, Saint John's Road and selected it from the dropdown options

From the menu on the left select Base Information and Mapping.

Scroll down to select Historic Map 25 inch (1888-1913).

The map will change to an earlier view of Kingsbridge Terminus and you can use the Transparency horz. scroll bar below to change from historical to current.

Works a dream for all locations in Ireland.

The Map Library at Trinity College Dublin will photocopy sections of these old maps for you - https://www.tcd.ie/library/map-library/    The National Library of Ireland might also have originals.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, DART8118 said:

The map will change to an earlier view of Kingsbridge Terminus and you can use the Transparency horz. scroll bar below to change from historical to current.

Works a dream for all locations in Ireland.

The Republic that is not the North. Most annoying!

Ernie

Edited by Irishswissernie

1 minute ago, Irishswissernie said:

Ernie

The National Archives have stuff from all 32 counties. I suspect the IRRS goes too.

The IRRS is very easy to deal with regarding historical material (though certainly NOT photographs!).

I have viewed many old maps in there. Contact Anthony, Norman or Herbie.

18 minutes ago, Irishswissernie said:

Ernie

over 20 years from the GFA - you would think they would have got around this..................mental

Here is the link for "Norn Iron".........

Its actually very good - with more choice on maps than we have on OSI................stuff from the 30s to 60S aswell

I wonder do the OSI have maps from the 30's,40's and 50's that they just haven't got around to digitalising yet - looking for those missing pieces like the South Wexford line , Waterford - New Ross and the Castlecomer and Wolfhill lines..........

Edited by Edo

I,ve looked  at the PRONI site but it only seems to do the six inch to the mile whereas we need the 25 inch/mile jobs. Alan Godfrey Maps have done a few bits of Belfast covering York Road and Great Victoria Street at around 16inches to the mile (reduced from the 25inch plans but I have been trying to get ones on the Queens Quay area and especially the Coal Quay plus the lines serving the shipyards. I have been identifying negatives passed to the ARPT covering these areas and also the Grosvenor Road & Mayfields yards

of the GNRI. I'm still awaiting permission from the Trust to use these on Flickr its a bit tricky, because I understand the photographer has dementia and I don't want to upset anybody.

ERnie

• Like 1