Unusual Craven Livery at Connolly 1980s

Rate this topic

Wexford70

Hi guys,

2 questions:

1) Saw this on a video and at the very start you can see an unusual Craven livery with two IR logos. Would this have been a test design?

2) What year was the walk way taken down in Connolly?

Also, nice to see the clip of the train in Rosslare when those crazy people in management actually had the trains terminating at the port building itself.  Now since corrected and passengers have to walk 1/2 a mile to a halt past the car park. just in case any visitor decided to take the train.

Unusual Livery 1980s Craven Connolly.png

• Like 2

Thanks for posting, especially the youtube video. It was nice that the A class IR tippex livery loco lining exactly matched the positioning of the lining on the mk2d coaches it was hauling. In relation to rosslaire yes it seems crazy they moved the trains so far away from the ferry ship berth, long walk for passengers (ie customers). I understand there are very few foot passengers nowadays and they issue was the level crossing disruption of vehicular traffic at the port. No wonder there are less passengers. Once upon a time you could get off a railway coach on the Carlisle pier in Dun Laoghaire, walk across the platform and board the ferry, with pretty much the same on the holyhead side, walk across the platform and board a class 37 hauled mk2 set to London. Now you'd need to be marathon fit to interconnect trains and ferrys. Have low cost airlines replaced such means of transport?

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Great video, Wexford 70.  Lovely seeing Rosslare Harbour as it was.  I arrived there last Sunday and was literally spat out on to the platform to fend for myself. The place is dead now,  I do not even bring a camera there anymore.   Well done on a superb video.

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

The Cravens with logos were indeed an experimental idea. I don’t know how many had them - possibly only one - and it was short-lived.

From my notes, Cravens coaches 1511,1516,1522,1544 and 1557 received the large IR logos on the sides.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

In response to your second question Wexford70, from memory I believe the footbridge at Connolly was removed in 1982 and maybe into 1983 (I think this happened in stages) at the same time as the removal/reconstruction of the shelter on platforms 6/7 in preparation for the introduction of the DART service.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, jhb171achill said:

Any idea exactly when, or how long they lasted, ttc?

Maybe three years jhb, our mutual friend formally of Connolly shed and valeting plant will fill us in on his next outing on the RPSI..... 

Here is a  photograph of mine I found of one of the IR logo Cravens in a derailed state outside Claremorris on 24/06/1989 while part of a Knock special from Balbriggan to Claremorris.

IMG_E9880.JPG

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/6/2019 at 5:36 PM, ttc0169 said:

From my notes, Cravens coaches 1511,1516,1522,1544 and 1557 received the large IR logos on the sides.

Do you know when the IR logos were applied to those five Cravens coaches and when they were removed, TTC? Apologies if this question has already been answered.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Do you know when the IR logos were applied to those five Cravens coaches and when they were removed, TTC? Apologies if this question has already been answered.

Around late 1988/89 the logos would have been applied and probably removed when repainted in 1994 prior to the introduction of the plug and socket IE logo in 1994. 

• Informative 1

1 minute ago, ttc0169 said:

Around late 1988/89 the logos would have been applied and probably removed when repainted in 1994 prior to the introduction of the plug and socket IE logo in 1994. 

Thanks, TTC, that's awesome to know - so even one or two of those five would look appropriate in a mid-nineties layout with IR logos added?

• Like 1