HATTONS DCC CHIPS

Rate this question

heirflick

Question

9 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, Irishrailwayman said:

Mr Soundguy is the original supplier of all Irish diesel loco soundchips and worth supporting - all the other suppliers came later with "me too" products!

Mr too? - Perhaps just a little unfair.  I have both MrSoundguy and WheelTappersDCCsound 141/181 sound projects, and like both, they have their own strengths and weaknesses. Keith predominantly uses Zimo chips for his projects whereas Neil uses LokSound.  Personally I prefer the 'prime mover' track (ie engine sound) on Neil's baby GM projects (ie 14/181). I understand Keith recorded his primer mover track from an actual Irish loco, which is laudable, however unfortunately the loco used sound rather ill, with a really annoying clinking noise at idle. Not an issue for the 071 or 201 projects. Neil has kindly customised some 141/181 projects for me and added extra tracks for various rail clank noises, flange squeal, etc. I like both offerings but feel Neil's projects are hardly "me too" as he has innovated with extra sounds (eg cascading coupling snatch as train starts off for loose coupled 1960s wagons, etc), and LokSound PowerDrive mode (ie full throttle) which is similar to Zimo/Keith's real drive. IMHO one 141/181 project sounds a little better, but the other is a little nicer to drive, but that's personal taste. A good pal of mine who had driven my locos with both 141/181 sound projects felt the other way.  To summarise I rate both highly, different to drive, and sound a little different but nobody will be disappointed with either. 

4 hours ago, heirflick said:

Any of youse boyos use these chips that Hattons recommend for Murphys 201 and 071 locos? Any thoughts appreciated as always!

Hattons Originals DCR-21Pin-Direct-V2 21-pin 6-function 1.1Amp direct plug decoder with back EMF

DCR-21Pin-Direct-V2 21-pin 6-function 1.1Amp direct plug decoder with back EMF

I don't know whose sound project is on these.

• Informative 1

5 hours ago, Noel said:

Mr too? - Perhaps just a little unfair.  I have both MrSoundguy and WheelTappersDCCsound 141/181 sound projects, and like both, they have their own strengths and weaknesses. Keith predominantly uses Zimo chips for his projects whereas Neil uses LokSound.  Personally I prefer the 'prime mover' track (ie engine sound) on Neil's baby GM projects (ie 14/181). I understand Keith recorded his primer mover track from an actual Irish loco, which is laudable, however unfortunately the loco used sound rather ill, with a really annoying clinking noise at idle. Not an issue for the 071 or 201 projects. Neil has kindly customised some 141/181 projects for me and added extra tracks for various rail clank noises, flange squeal, etc. I like both offerings but feel Neil's projects are hardly "me too" as he has innovated with extra sounds (eg cascading coupling snatch as train starts off for loose coupled 1960s wagons, etc), and LokSound PowerDrive mode (ie full throttle) which is similar to Zimo/Keith's real drive. IMHO one 141/181 project sounds a little better, but the other is a little nicer to drive, but that's personal taste. A good pal of mine who had driven my locos with both 141/181 sound projects felt the other way.  To summarise I rate both highly, different to drive, and sound a little different but nobody will be disappointed with either. 

I don't know whose sound project is on these.

Noel totally agree with you, however the chip shown by Heirflick is not a sound chip it is a plain dcc chip supplied by hattons, if memory serves me, they are £16.50 each.

TDR

Edited by The Derry Road
  • Like 1

@Past-Avenue Is it  4 function or 6 function chip (one above seems to be 6 functions)? If I recall correctly there is no, or no controlled, cab lighting is the 141s but there is in the 071s. You'll need an extra function or an extra function per cab to control those. If not one of the CVs may need to be changed

Edited by DiveController

On 7/26/2020 at 3:16 PM, Past-Avenue said:

Hi DiveController its a 6 function decoder and I've got it in a 071 .Is it only a matter of changing the CVs and if so witch one etc. 

Enda 

Sorry for the late reply. I don't have any of these but I looked it up on the Hattons site and they refer to the instruction manual here

https://images.hattons.co.uk/mediafiles/hattonsdecoderinstructions2016.pdf

Oddly the 6 function decoder refer you to this manual which refers to a 4-function decoder. Nonetheless int he absence of any better advice you might be able to use use F3 green wire and CV51 to operate the cab light. Maybe setting it as directional will allow the cab in the direction of travel to be illuminated by selecting F3?