10mm scale T&D loco ?

Rate this topic

PorkyP

All excellent, but the Ahern book is outdated now with his solid block chassis! but still a good reference and a collectors item, as it was the first comprehensive and detailed book on loco building, there were others but it set a new standard. I used to regularly take this book out of the Dun Laoghaire library many moons ago until I could afford to buy a copy.....

Eoin 

• Like 2

I've certainly seen the Simon Bolton book when I've been looking around, looks like it'd be good.. I'll do my usual thing and try to find a used  bargain copy !

Ok got that now too...!😁 ( the first one that is...)

Ps you fellas will be the ruin of me, I've got the other one now too..!  Still i guess  €25 for both books isn't too bad !

Edited by PorkyP
  • Like 2

Great stuff. I’m starting out in scratch building a loco fairly soon and so gradually reading around. Simon Bolton’s stuff is very accessible and well illustrated. I use Biblio, Wordery and ABE Books as sources for comparing prices and buying books, also using Amazon as a general tool for seeing what’s out there, reading reviews etc. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

Hopefully the 2 books don't just say the same stuff over again,  but I thought the tank loco book was worth having as well ...as my real interest is Irish narra gauge, so it's all tank engines really !   

Edited by PorkyP

17 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Great stuff. I’m starting out in scratch building a loco fairly soon and so gradually reading around. Simon Bolton’s stuff is very accessible and well illustrated. I use Biblio, Wordery and ABE Books as sources for comparing prices and buying books, also using Amazon as a general tool for seeing what’s out there, reading reviews etc. 

What loco are you thinking of doing, out of interest..?

The books are different in their approach so well worth having both. I’m thinking of doing an SLNC tank loco but still at early planning stages. Bought the bogie unit and nameplates but that’s it so far. Waiting to purchase a small pillar drill and a few other bits.

• Like 1

Yes. That’s the plan. I’ve got the maker’s drawings and will have a go, although I have a few loco kits to build too. I sold all my UK outline stuff in February and spent the proceeds buying up brass kits while they were available - can’t always guarantee to get what you want.  So I have 3 locos and 3 coaches to build, not to mention drawings for a lot more...  

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

Guy Williams book "The 4mm Engine a scratchbuilders guide" https://www.abebooks.com/9780906867709/4mm-Engine-Scratchbuilders-Guide-Richard-0906867703/plp or John Ahearn's Miniature Locomotive construction

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=30343477715&searchurl=an%3Djohn%2Bahern%26sortby%3D20%26tn%3Dminiature%2Blocomotive%2Bconstruction&cm_sp=snippet-_-srp1-_-title2  are probably a better general introduction to scratchbuilding locos in the larger scales, than Iain Rice's work which is more suitable for 4mm fine scale work.

Guy William's was a highly respected model locomotive builder who built many of the locomotives that regularly operate in the Pendon model railway museum in Oxfordshire and John Ahearn basically pioneered 4mm scenic modelling with the Madder Valley Railway which included a large number of scratchbuilt standard and narrow gauge locos that operated on OO gauge track the layout was restored and also operated at the Pendon museum. https://pendonmuseum.com/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use an ancient Unimat SL for turning /milling the frame profile and drilling the chassis for my T&D railcar, I used a cheap 100watt soldering iron for soldering up the frames once I was satisfied that everything was square and bolted together, the vertical drill set up is basically the standard for pilot drilling for coupling rod and axle centers.

DSCF3070.JPG.1236e11033ef346836e1b8a3f78e6c79.JPG

Milling frame blanks

DSCF3113.JPG.6594da4ae12f586ef57afdb40b529423.JPG

Vertical drill drilling out holes in center of frame spacers

DSCF3115.JPG.90f8a9cfca3faa3eac8fc73dfab56737.JPG

Finished components waiting assembly. Not bad for a 1st attempt at profile milling.

• Like 2

Jeez.. I was getting worried that the forum had died, I've sure missed it!..seems like ages,

...anyway funny you should put up a pic or two of your unimat, I've been looking around on fleabay etc for small lathes, and just got a slightly battered one of those Peatol /Taig things ( its not arrived yet) , I remember these from back in the 80s, a lot of lads in the states like them and do all kinds of mad stuff on them.  It will no doubt need a bit of TLC but should do me for wheels and axles and odd stuff anyway.  I haven't done anything on a lathe for donkeys years, I've possibly still got a few tool bits etc hiding somewhere !

• Like 1

Following the good advice earlier, I've been making a cardboard mock up sticking photocopies on to card to cut out etc, it's been interesting, card's a bit less rigid than metal so harder to keep all square, but I'll persevere as it'll be good practice for the real thing..and the big scale is great to work with!... I know it probably looks a bit like a kid has done it tho..!

_20190720_224930.JPG

_20190720_224956.JPG

• Like 4

As to cardboard btw, as you can see I've only been using rough bits off envelopes and stuff, what's a good card to use for models ?....I ask because after playing with this,( i know its only a rough) I would like to try some card scratch building of wagons, (even the Alphagraphix kits would need a decent backing) and would need a type of card that doesn't tear up and go fuzzy..just a thought.

I saw an amazing pic of a Brit southern loco made from card, must have been treated with layers of something as it looked like metal!...I could use plastic card, but I really prefer the idea of metal, being as I've done a lot of metal working in 12in to the foot scale!.. and it makes it more of a real proper engineering job somehow.

Wagons, particularly Irish types, I reckon card would be good for, if you could find a really decent card to work with, in some ways it's more like wood than plastic is!..I've also thought with scratch building wagons, in larger scale, why not use the real wood itself! ..Stuff like I remember as a kid as cigar boxes would be about right ( i didn't smoke cigars when I was a young 'un btw! )

1 hour ago, PorkyP said:

I saw an amazing pic of a Brit southern loco made from card, must have been treated with layers of something as it looked like metal!...I could use plastic card, but I really prefer the idea of metal, being as I've done a lot of metal working in 12in to the foot scale!.. and it makes it more of a real proper engineering job somehow.

Wagons, particularly Irish types, I reckon card would be good for, if you could find a really decent card to work with, in some ways it's more like wood than plastic is!..I've also thought with scratch building wagons, in larger scale, why not use the real wood itself! ..Stuff like I remember as a kid as cigar boxes would be about right ( i didn't smoke cigars when I was a young 'un btw! )

Look for Jim Read’s stuff online....http://ogaugemicro.blogspot.com/?m=1

lots of card modelling tips and he’s very helpful. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers fellas, I'll check out Jim Read, and also see what's around in thin wood, (may even have some usable bits of 'junk' at work! )....some very effective weathering possibilities there with your base being real wood and in a bigger scale..

Now if I could only recruit some 'little people' and set them up in a miniature workshop...😉

Edited by PorkyP
  • Like 1

The Taig lathe arrived, they're surprisingly hefty for a small model making lathe, certainly going to be better for the jobs I'd be doing than the watch / clock maker type one i had before... so getting rid of that one worked out for the best really....I'll need to sort a few bits out on it, the carraige wheel and gear is missing, and I'll have to bodge a motor for which I've got a few victims in line!.... quite a handy extra tho are the riser blocks so you can turn bigger stuff than the standard machine as supplied, you could just about turn a 6 inch wheel in there if you really needed!  Be fun to do stuff with a lathe again too.😁

IMG_20190723_220319_630.JPG

• Like 5

Just to show I've not given up, a bit more on the cardboard try out, it's being a useful exercise to show me how NOT to assemble the metal one at least!

I'm looking at the lathe too which will need a bit of improvised jury rig (a home made leadscrew bodge) to get the saddle going, the agent for Europe uk whatever area seems a, erm, difficult to person deal with unfortunately, i only need a few tiny parts for fecks sake, I emailed USA where they're made with no luck as yet either.. Not the end of the world, but annoying if you just want a few small bits worth $10 tops!

IMG_20190727_210044_606.JPG

• Like 2

Cheers Eoin,  that looks great, I'll have a good read.....I did notice him selling all the parts, unfortunately says he only ships to USA.....might be worth a pleading email you never know, if he's an enthusiast he might take pity ! ...Like I said it's only tiny stuff that'd goin a little jiffy bag.!

Thats interesting, I've not heard of that one, (is it a bit like ebay global shipping where the seller just sends to a centre in there own country and the system does the rest?.)..I'll still probably have to wait for some kind of response from him i guess, i messaged him to ask if he'd be kind enough to send some very small parts

I'll check the postpal thing out anyway, good suggestion Eoin!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, murrayec said:

PP

You could use Postpal if he refuses to send to you- with the American address Postpal you have to register for 'home delivery' which costs a bit more but one does get the parts!

Eoin

Just had message back from him and says he will send the bits, ( he's obviously one of the good guys!).just sent him the dosh so hopefully should be in business without having to do any bodging to get the machine up and running..now just have a bit of a wait for the old paddle steamer to get across the Atlantic..!

As recommended, I just got Whitehouse's Narrow Gauge Album '50 to '65 in Colour , (couldn't find a used bargain one unfortunately!)... but it's a fine book with amazing big size colour pics. Some good stuff on C&L which is my main interest ( having family connections there) plus some very nice Donegal shots,  and a few from Clare.  The book is a bit heavy on Welsh (not surprising really) and it's a pity there's not a bit more of the Irish in there, but it's a lovely book to have and will be very useful reference with some great loco and wagon detail, good recommendation!

Edited by PorkyP

Well the Taig lathe bits arrived from the US in good time, both Nick Carter and Taig themselves were very helpful with a few small parts, and in future anything small and lightweight I'd order from either very happily..... I must say the odd times I've dealt with folk in the US to have stuff sent over the water it's always been fine and no probs.

I got a nice 4 jaw chuck for the machine at a good price off evilbay too, something which I was wanting, a very useful extra..

IMG_20190808_193715_527.JPG

• Like 1