CIE ever use Land Rovers in 60s ?

Rate this topic

PorkyP

6 hours ago, PorkyP said:

The trucks and vans book sounds good, but t'internet doesn't seem to fjnd it unfortunately, tho theres a few pics of random CIE stuff...these amused me as I only really think of them as BR machines .

Seems like a wheel or two short on the mechanical horses there, Porky? Does this CIE random stuff need to have any wheels at all or would a single tiller do?

000d1e6f-1500.jpg

• Like 2

Even at the back it would be a 'driving' wheel so 0-1-0, (although before they were motored maybe a 0-0-0?). Of course, there is no tender so would it be a 0-1-0T or a 0-1-0TDiesel although I don't think they top speed would have been very high. I suppose if they're diesels they could be a 'sea' class albeit confined to the Grand Canal and other inland waterways. Still no Land Rover and no sign of that book either ... 

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not Irish, but this picture just turned up in my interminable Pinterest suggestions.

809aa49c5317dbae2eb9bbaef2cc6525.jpg

No details with it anywhere that I can find it used.

The flanged wheels would appear not to be driven, I presume they still relied on the road wheels for propulsion - and braking...

• Like 2

This drawing suggests the track would be 4' 3½", so the outer sides of the tyres would be on the centre of the rail-tops at 2½" off-centre from each wheel.

And the wheels in the picture do look a bit 'fatter' than standard.

So, using the road-wheels for traction looks plausible?

land-rover-109-1962.png

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Broithe said:

Not Irish, but this picture just turned up in my interminable Pinterest suggestions.

The flanged wheels would appear not to be driven, I presume they still relied on the road wheels for propulsion - and braking...

Road wheel propulsion is the standard practice for modern Hi-Rail vehicles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road–rail_vehicle used to carry out inspection and maintenance work on many railways.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mayner said:

Road wheel propulsion is the standard practice for modern Hi-Rail vehicles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road–rail_vehicle used to carry out inspection and maintenance work on many railways.

Indeed, I was just mulling over the arrangement above, where the Land Rover may be hauling the carriage, but presumably without controlling the carriage's brakes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broithe said:

Looks like Haworth shed on the Keighley and Worth Valley railway, circa late 60s. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1