CIE Coach Colours

Rate this topic

Mike 84C

Many moons ago someone posted mixing ratio's for CIE Dark Green. I think the mix included blue ink? and the make and type of paint. I thought I had made a record of it but its in a very very safe place! I also thought I'd used every keyword reference on this "zb" system! Can someone repost the reciepe please? got some coached to paint!.

I don't know if this is possible, but if anyone can download my "flying snail" icon to the left, it is from a good quality daylight photograph of an actual snail on actual CIE paint. My late father got a transfer and mounted it on a board painted with paint in Inchicore. This is the shade used on any steam locos that were green, on buses and road vehicles 1945-62, on railway station paintwork until about 1960/2, and on carriages and horseboxes 1945-55.

After 1955, any NEW carriages and repainted older ones, plus diesel locomotives, would get the lighter shade.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I don't know if this is possible, but if anyone can download my "flying snail" icon to the left, it is from a good quality daylight photograph of an actual snail on actual CIE paint. My late father got a transfer and mounted it on a board painted with paint in Inchicore. This is the shade used on any steam locos that were green, on buses and road vehicles 1945-62, on railway station paintwork until about 1960/2, and on carriages and horseboxes 1945-55.

After 1955, any NEW carriages and repainted older ones, plus diesel locomotives, would get the lighter shade.

IMG_3348.thumb.JPG.7f393b9da899e77c25aee3c147918bdc.jpeg

• Like 2

The RPSI Whitehead set is painted a colour close to UTA green, though it wasn't matched as such when devised. UTA green was darker than CIE.

The Bachmann green isn't far off the mark - while inaccurate for a new-paint, like the cie orange / tan, weathering could dull it down. The Bachmann green is close enough to the weathered version that many of us remember.

Gentlemen, thank you for all your replies, how I missed the obvious in Glendergs Quiet Man post I don't know, maybe I do not have to worry so much about matching colour shades! But the coach I painted about four years ago looks much darker than one I did a month ago. It was how much Blue ink in the mix where the grey stuff failed.  :facepalm:

• Like 1