Help

Rate this topic

46 minutes ago, Brendan8056 said:

Whilst I don't know where the picture of C214 was taken it does seem to be missing the correct screw couplings, that looks like a basic 3 link set.  

The screw couplings removed from C214 and replaced by 3 link possibly for ease of coupling when the loco was allocated to shunting duties.

It seems almost a throw back to CIE and GNR steam practice where several classes of locomotive including GNR(I) 4-4-0s && the J15 had a 3 link coupler on the front buffer beam, some shunting locos only had 3 link couplers

Class J15 - 143 - GS&WR Class 101 0-6-0, built 1877 by Inchicore Works - 1906 rebuilt, 1925 to GSR, 1936 rebuilt with Belpaire boiler, 1945 to CIE - withdrawn 1959 - seen here at Bray in 1932.

• Informative 1

I found another, presumably taken just before the others at Galway and the last frame on my colour film at the time. B129 must be placing the stock for the train in the station?

B129.thumb.JPG.77479a371fc287a6ec88c4b3bc184897.JPG

And where is this? Dad's Hillman Super Minx on the left! As I recall the photos were taken on a Kodak Brownie camera, hence the lack of quality.

P1080204.thumb.JPG.59621a436514d45dd5c6c37b5bb1a6ce.JPG

Phil

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The newly purchased GM EMD B129 in its original grey and yellow livery is unlikely to have been the 'station pilot'. The quality isn't perfect as you say, but I think that's a TPO behind the loco so maybe Galway Up Mail.

Second looks like Gleensk Viaduct on the ring of Kerry (Farranfore to Valencia Line)

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

I don't known about the first one with C214.

The others are of the up Galway day mail, and the grey / yellow 121 will be hauling it. They ran singly at first. I am unaware of EVER seeing a pair of 121s in any livery before 1972 (on an nearly "supertrain").

For modellers awaiting Murphy Day: grey ones singly, pairs in later times  / other liveries.

interesting re the couplings. I had forgotten about that.

Re. Glinsk / Gleensk viaduct.... can't have been long out of use then - presuming you took that pic early 1960s? Looks like it's going to become part of a cycleway.... we'll be able to go up there again!

An aside - years ago, I was discussing with jhbSenior what times he travelled that line. Was there a "C" class on the train?

--- "Not at all. It was a "J" class".  (Translated meaning "what on earth would I want to go in a diesel train for?")

"What type of carriage was it"

--- "An old GSWR bogie".

"What sort of upholstery had it?"  (Me being always interested in colours / liveries)

-- "No idea. I always went on the footplate...."

Edited by jhb171achill