1970's CIE videos.

Rate this topic

patrick

Interesting stuff: I explored the railway system by day trips on rail rover tickets in 77&78, I used to walk out to Myrtle Hill level crossing to watch the return working of the Youghal Goods usually a B141 with two H vans and a brake.

I visited Youghal on an IRRS special and was surprised to see that there was relatively heavy (3-4wagons) traffic between Youghal & Moygeely. 

I was surprised to see the Youghal gantry was actually used to handle ISO container traffic as it was only rated at 5 ton capacity, either the gantry was grossly overloaded or the containers were empty or lightly loaded.

At the time I worked for a company in Dublin that received a container load of fitted Kitchens from Youghal weekly.  CIE was the distributor for Murray Kitchens in Youghal with road transfer to North Esk and distribution from Heuston Goods, Dublin traffic was heavy enough to keep a driver Richie and a helper fully occupied delivering to building sites and merchants in Dublin with a dedicated 2axle  Bedford TK with 20' container bed with white cab and Murray Kitchen branding.

Its interesting to see the conditions the CIE Depot Men accepted and worked in in the 70s. Water Street container depot looked like a real deathtrap with its congested conditions and the Youghal gantry an accident waiting to happen.

Cork-Tivoli was interesting operationally in that trains trains to the siding operated "Wrong Road" against the normal flow of traffic from Cork Station to the siding under the protection of an ETS or electric train staff, presumably the up line was protected by staff instruments in Cork and Little Island signal cabins with a intermediate instrument at Tivoli. 

The Tivoli siding served oil terminals used by Burmah, Texaco & Pfizer Chemicals (Quigley Magnesite & Roofchrome Refractory products), the Roofchrome siding was extended to serve the Port of Cork Tivoli Container Terminal following the closure of Roofchrome Factory.

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 6:11 AM, K801 said:

do any videos exist of the 1100/1101 diesels in action with sound?

A recording may exist, a recording of 106 with sound on a Connolly-Bray special was shown at an IRRS Film Show after the loco was withdrawn in the late 70s, the Sulzer sound was distinctly different to a person that was used to listening to GM locos.

Both types of Irish Sulzer shared the same engine and electrical system and are likely to have sounded similar.

It might be worth while following up with the IRRS to see if the recording still exists.

On 3/31/2020 at 6:19 AM, hexagon789 said:

I think that they might not have sounded too dissimilar to the British Rail Class 26, as they have the same Sulzer engine though it is rated at some 200hp greater.

I think the exhaust set up is different on the brits?