McGowan Built MODELS

Rate this question

burnthebox

Question

14 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Midland Man said:

I have heard it once or twice. Their kits were sold at the old Phibsboro  model rail shop.

Will any of these links help.......

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83139-mcgowan-models/

Hi Midlandman & yes as I said on here before I visited that shop on a number of occasions but a number of people on here disagreed with my memory...!! anyway then life got in the way, then some, time, years later on a Sunday morning I called only to find it closed, shutters not down but nobody inside, as I walked access the road to the newsagents the owner came out so I asked did he know anything about the shop, he said the owner came into his shop, bought the Sunday papers went back into the toy shop & closed the door..!!! not to be seen again..!!!WELL that’s my memory of the place.
BTB

Edited by burnthebox

Hi BTB

Yes and long gone now, but Brendan Kelly of the MRSI is keeping up the tradition- he builds all kinds of Gauge O models from Mcgowan kits and parts, also does his own stuff. If you view my manufacturing thread most of the Gauge O models I have done works to are Kelly/McGowan models.

This is one on my bench at the moment;-

Also check out Wrennie's Lima thread to view more works by Brendan, they just posted up a new project commencing....

Also check out here;-

https://irishrailwaymodeller.com/topic/8001-south-dublin-model-railway-exhibition-2019-list-of-exhibitors/?do=findComment&comment=125267

Eoin

Edited by murrayec
  • Like 2

Troops
McGowan brothers who owned and operated The Model Railway Shop in Monck Place manufactured their O Gauge kits under the 
name of Leinster Models, 
McGowan kits were a UK based company that did white metal kits, from reading some reviews over the years they were rough with
several modellers stating that they were unmakeable , wrong parts etc
They were taken over by a company called SEF Car Kits who did white metal and brass kits
Possibly now owned by Scale Link Ltd in Dorset

• Informative 1

The ‘Leinster Models’ kits still have a fair reputation amongst O gauge modellers and have featured in the Gauge O Guild Gazette in recent years. Basic kits lacking in the detail one associates with more modern kits but an excellent basis for making a nice loco. 

• Like 1

See Wrenneire’s post above. It was made by an English firm. No connection with Leinster Models AFAIK. In a confusing twist, the  business seems to have since  transformed into ACE Kits, based at that same Reigate address, who solely  make O gauge kits now and I have recently seen them at various O gauge shows. Confused? I am !

4D0E48F8-08FD-43E5-8046-3527D2A50569.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore

Ace kits are the work of Bill Ascough. Advertises in the modelling magazines and has quite a large range of loco kits that are good for the experienced modeller, but not a beginner, I'd say. Nothing Irish, as far as I know, but does do kits for the Woolwich 2-6-0s. Indeed, in the past has hinted at doing the GSR versions.

• Like 1

Yes, I was interested to see a ‘T Ascough’ on the McGowan letterhead! Ace Kits are a hardy perennial on the Gauge O Guild forum. Some swear by them, others swear at them ! I think Bill has acquired some of his range from some smaller suppliers, and the quality of each kit is dependent on who actually produced them in the first place....

Edited by Galteemore